cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie - 1242AG basic configuration

HSS_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have just purchased a 1242AG and I am trying to configure it. In the web interface, when information is entered in the express setup and express security screens, and I "apply" it, nothing is saved. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Thanks,

Alan

19 Replies 19

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Alan,

To be honest - never used it, always configure from the cli. But I have used the GUI on a few occasions - and I would recommend configuring the WALN'S through the sub-menus!

HTH.

If you click Apply in the right place, it SHOULD take it. The Apply buttons are some time a bit confusing, you may have several of them on the same page and you have to click the one that applies to the setting that you are actually changing.

Express setup is an easy place to start from. Try to change the community or AP name for example.

Then if you down on the left menu, try to see if the resulting configuration does take it into consideration...

That is my impression too, it SHOULD take it. I have tried changing the AP name via the Express Setup, but the change does not take. I have also tried setting an SSID via the Express Security screen, but that does not take either. I am wondering whether I have a defective unit.

If the GUI is a no go - configure the AP from the cli, wr mem and reload. If the config is still in there - just a gui issue, if not....hardware issue?

I had avoided the cli because of its complexity. However I have been giving it a try. First Question: one is in exec mode when one first logs in via telnet. So I try to get into privileged exec mode so I can change configuration.

ap>enable

% Error in authentication

How do I avoid that error? (I logged in using the default id/pswd and no the antennae are not turned on yet.)

default uid Cisco pwd Cisco

Ok,so I tried:

login via telnet

ap>default uid Cisco pwd Cisco

^

%Invalid input detected at "^" marker

So how is that cmd used?

At the prompt:-

ap>

type "en" and press return

You should be asked for a password

type "Cisco" the promtpt should then look like

ap#

from here you will be able to configure the access point?

What are you trying to so? I could write your config for you?

HTH.

I tried that:

ap>en

% Error in authentication

What I am trying to do is setup a very basic 2.4GHz access point with WEP 128bit encryption and accepting only a very short list of MAC addresses. I would think this would take a config of only a few lines. If you could do a draft that would be very appreciated.

You have a very nice AP - probably running a nice version of code - why would you want to use WEP?

The AP will be interacting with hardware devices that unfortunately run only WEP.

Did you purchase the LWAPP model or Autonomous ??

The part number is AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9. And I believe it's the autonomous version but how do I tell for sure? The web interface to the unit shows system software as: c1240-k9w7-tar.124-10b.jA with a version of 12.4(10b)jA

Ok, I have made headway. Using a combination of the web interface and the CLI, I have the 1242AG partially configured. My question now is in the CLI how does one turn on broadcasting of the SSID so clients can see it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card