Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with SUP720 / Redundancy

sabir.mohamed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have Catalyst 6509 with 2 supervisor 720, one is Active and the other one is not presented to the switch. When I show the modules I get that the second supervisor is unknown and Not Applicable(See the file attached).

the second supervisor is booted on rommon.

I verify the version of the firmware and IOS (12.2(33)SXH), I have the same versions on the both supervisors.

Can you help please to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the second supervisor is a rommon, is an indication that is unable to load the IOS.

Verify both Supervisors have the same memory and flash requirement.

Can you post the output from typing show redundancy and show boot

__

Edison.

Show boot:

On the second supervisor, I have on the configuration:

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:

Show redundancy:

You'll find the command's result in the attached file.

Thanks in advance.

Can you verify where the file is stored in the secondary supervisor ?

On the primary supervisor the file is stored in bootflash:

Per your attached output:

bootflash:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH.bin,1;

Once you find where exactly is the file, do a manual boot from the secondary supervisor via the console connection.

I have started manually the secondary supervisor, I get this message from console :

00:00:20: %PFREDUN-6-STANDBY: Initializing as STANDBY processor for this switch

00:00:21: %SYS-SPSTBY-3-LOGGER_FLUSHING: System pausing to ensure console debugging output.

00:00:20: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

00:00:21: %OIR-SPSTBY-6-CONSOLE: Changing console ownership to route processor

After that the console of the secondary supervisor is blocked.

But when I set the Show Module on the first supervisor I still get the unknown and Not Applicable (See Attached).

You'll find in the attached file the output of starting up the secondary supervisor.

The software is reloaded due to a crash on start up (See attached file).

Also I get these messages:

00:00:25: %ICC-4-COMM: Communication failure occurred while open port on card 6 (7-no such port)

-Traceback= 40A4ACEC 40A4C0E8 40A4C484 40A4C728 40D002B8 40D00374 40CFED10 41B9D594 41B9D580

00:00:25: %RPC-2-FAILED: Failed to send RPC request for registration message (fatal)

-Traceback= 40D002D4 40D00374 40CFED10 41B9D594 41B9D580

Tracebacks are always bad news.

Try re-seating the module and manual booting once again.

If that fails, I recommend opening a TAC case. It looks like you have a faulty Sup.

Good luck

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card