Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 help

Armegeden
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

All of my Cisco experience has been with switches and routers. I was recently given a PIX 501 to configure (obtained from old client).

First wall to get by is logging in. No one seems to know login info. Ideas?

Next is configuration. PIX is new to me. Does anyone know of any bare-bone configurations I can start with? The client I'm giving it to just needs very basic/standard access. HTTP, FTP, telnet, etc.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

5 Replies 5

arturo.guzman
Level 1
Level 1

ip address outside // this is the wan in the most of cases.

ip address inside // this is the LAN the most of cases.

telnet inside //this is the permited ip to access by telnet protocol to pix can be an ip or may be a segment.

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1 //default route

access-list inside_access_in permit icmp any any // permit icmp to inside interfece.

access-list outside_access_in permit icmp any any // permit icmp to outside interfaces from all ips' to all ips

access-group outside_access_in in interface outside //apply the access-list

access-group inside_access_in in interface inside //apply the access-list.

//NAT.

global (outside) 1 //tho make nat overload or pat.

nat (inside) 1

this is the basic configuration.

If you need any ip lan go to outside only have to add a acl like this.

access-list inside_access_in permit tcp any eq www

access-list inside_access_in permit tcp any eq ftp

Don't forget qualify me.

Thanks arturo.

I'll have to go through your response line-by-line when I get the enable password reset. Just did some google'ing and just got the np60.bin to try and reset the password.

Once I get in, your post will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Alright,

I managed to do the password recovering BIN thing and just reset the passwords without losing the config. Given, all IP schemes and ACL's need to be changed, but it helps with insight, especially since your helpful post.

So I have a question on this:

----

access-list if_outside permit icmp any any

access-list if_outside permit tcp any host 216.254.109.67 eq smtp

access-list if_inside permit ip 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0 any

access-group if_outside in interface outside

access-group if_inside in interface inside

----

I'm assuming this allows ICMP incoming from the outside interface to the inside.

And then allows traffic from any host outside with SNMP traffic to 216.254.109.67... ?

The clearification I need is with applying the access lists. Could someone clearify those last two lines?

access-list if_outside permit tcp any host 216.254.109.67 eq smtp

The previous customer that was allowing incoming smtp traffic to an internal server

Do you still need a basic configuration to start out with? What will you be using the pix for? What kind of traffic are you going to be needing to allow?

The last 2 lines..

access-group if_outside in interface outside

access-group if_inside in interface inside

1- Apply access list named "if_outside" in (inbound traffic only) interface outside (apply to interface named "outside"

2- same except ACL named if_inside, inbound traff again, applied to interface named inside

Please rate if this helps...

--Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card