Error when end-user calls into her Unity mailbox

Unanswered Question
May 22nd, 2008


I currently have ~350 users, and have an issue with only one users when she tries to call into Unity to retreive her messages.

It basicaly tells her that her mailbox is unavailable and to try back later. I have tried deleting and adding it back. But as soon as she sets up her initial greeting, it goes back to the error.

The application error log displays this message each time she tries to connect:

An unexpected error has occured while a subscriber is on the phone with Unity. This can potentially result in the subscriber hearing the failsafe conversation. Technical details are - IAvDohMailUser::get_Inbox returned [0x8004000c] on line 1359 of file E:\Views\CU4.2.0.110\un_Conv1\Scripted\ConvSub\MsgCount.cpp.

I have checked to make sure our Unity service has rights to her mailbox, and that Unity mailbox alias matches her Exchange mailbox alias. All seems to look ok, and like all the working users, but still no go.

Has anyone else had this issue before?



I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/28/2008 - 05:12

It appears to be a non-service affecting issue. This error turns out to be cosmetic. It occurs when the drop thread drops a call in a certain place in the conversation. This is not a problem, and the code will be updated to not write anything to the event log when this occurs. To prevent this problem from occurring in the future: Launch Exchange System Manager Browse to the server they have the users' mailbox on. Right click on the server | Properties | Security See that inherit permissions from parent is off (check box at bottom) Either allow inherited permissions, or manually add the UnityDirSvc account and give it full permissions and deny for the Receive As and the Send As permissions. To fix up any users that were impacted by this problem, simply delete the subscriber using the SA, and then re-import the subscriber.

bkvalentine Wed, 05/28/2008 - 05:23

Let me guess, she just got back from vacation... The reason I say that is because I have seen this when the users mailbox had too many unread messages. I think it turned out that the user had more than 100 unread emails. You might ask her to go through her email and clean up her exchange account.

Hope that helps.

rick_humphrey Wed, 05/28/2008 - 19:05

I am having the same problem. When one user tries to access their voicemail via the TUI they hear the message "Your messages are not available now" and the same error is recorded in the Application log as you indicated. We also are on Unity 4.21.

This happened after moving this user from one mailbox store to another mailbox store. Other users went through the same process and do not have any issues. I ran the Perms Wizard on the new Mailbox Store before moving users, so I don't see any reason to do it again.

I deleted the Subscriber and added the Subscriber back, but the problem returned as well.

Any ideas what to check next ?

irajbrock Thu, 05/29/2008 - 05:11

That is exactly what I did as well. Moved our 1 user from one store to another. This is when it stopped working... And just like you, every other user that went through the same process works just fine.

If I figure it out, I will post what I did to resolve it. Currently I have a TAC case open but we still have not found the answer yet.


irajbrock Thu, 05/29/2008 - 05:21


That is the exact same scenario that I went through.

Our user started working again this morning...

The only thing that I changed was one exchange permission that has nothing to do with Unity. I checked the users mailbox, and for some reason the user 'SELF' was no longer listed so I added it back.

I am not 100% sure this fixed the issue, although that is the only thing I changed and it began working fine again. I am not sure how it would fall off during a move of the mailbox to another store, but I would check your user and give it a shot.

Please let me know if you do try this, and if it fixes your issue. I am still wondering if that is really what fixed mine.

Thank you,

Ira Brock

sjcarroll Thu, 08/28/2008 - 08:06


Did anyone get a fix for this as we are seeing the same thing. Problem is, we don't have access to Exchange.


irajbrock Thu, 08/28/2008 - 09:05

We were able to resolve it by opening the users account in Active Directory and under the security tab, telling that object to re-inherit all permissions from the parent.


This Discussion