cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 software version

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

Our 6513 switch is running version Version 12.2(18)SXD7b. Its running a SUP720. The shipping papers say we got IOS IP W/SSH/3DES Lan Only. Been out to the download site. We have had the switch for just under a year. Seems like the software is still current. There appear to be newer version but not for the feature load we are running above. Am I reading this wrong?

If I follow download links using switches and go to the 6513 the version is listed as 12.2(33)SXH1 but have demo as part of the file name. If I got to the 6509 switch it asked what sup I'm running and a break down of software features. Wonder why the 6513 link is not like the 6509. Should I just follow the 6509 link? Doing so seems to show my software version is still current.

Craig

5 Replies 5

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Craig,

Why do you want to upgrade the software. Is there any problem with the current software? Any bug/ particular problem? Are you upgrading new hardware on the switch that needs new software ? As dar as it is running fine, you shouldnt look for the IOS upgrade.

If you want to upgrade for some reason, then just follow the 6509 download and upgrade the Sup720 to IOS that you want.

-amit singh

Mostly for my information. Just wondered why the links for the 6509 and 6513 go different ways. I have yet to do an upgrade on our 6513. Upgrading many other Cisco products over the years. Since our 6513 isn't in production as yet I thought if there was an upgrade it might be a good idea to try and upgrade before we go production just so I have the experience for later. I understand about don't fix what isn't broken.

Craig

johgill
Level 1
Level 1

Craig,

If there is a discrepancy between the 6509 and 6513 links, it is okay to run through the 6509 path.

The important information is the code, feature set, and supervisor you have.

Regards,

John Gill

So if I travel the 6509 path. Select my 720 supervisor. On the next page I pick my feature set. Doing so shows me our switch as shipped last year still has the most recent code for that feature set. Just wanted to make sure I was reading the download site correctly for our switch.

Craig

Craig,

The issue here is that between 12.2(18)SXD and 12.2(18)SXE the naming conventions changed, so you will not see that exact feature set name beyond the 12.2(18)SXD7b.

If you were using "IP W/SSH/3DES Lan Only", that would translate to the new feature set name of "IP SERVICES SSH LAN ONLY".

Be sure to check the memory and flash requirements before you upgrade. You will see this information on the final download page on the upgrade tool.

Here is a good illustration of how the IOS packaging is oriented now:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps5460/prod_bulletin0900aecd80281b17_ps708_Products_Bulletin.html

Regards,

John Gill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card