cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 install plan of attack

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

I have been building a config for a 6513 to replacing an aging Avaya 882 we have as our core campus router. Been debating on best why to change the switch.

When I installed the 882 years ago I attach the 882 to the switch it was replacing via a trunk. I had shut off routing on the older switch and enabled it in the 882. This allowed uptime while I was able to move each buildings fiber link over to the new switch. The fiber patch cables had to be changed as the ends were different. We have over 18 buildings so this approached gave us less downtown.

I'm faced with same situation with the 882 to 6513 conversion. The fiber patch cables need replaced again. Would my old approach work again here? Our traffic, especially in the summer would like saturate the 1G link between the two switches.

I'm going over all the things that I need to make sure are configuring correctly on the 6513. All the subnets, vlan, and interfacing are definded. I have attached test 3750 switch stacks and test routing between subnets. All seems ok. Things that I have or need to go over are.

Span Tree settings. Using rapid.

Multicast settings. 3750s edge stacks appear the have this (IGMP) feature enable per device and vlans.

A few buildings use etherchannels.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Craig

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Craig,

We will stick to your older plan and here is what we can follow :

1. Connect the two switches together via trunk and run the compatible STP. You can enable RPVST on 6513 which is backward compatible with 802.1d legacy STP.

2. Configure all the Vlans on the 6513 switch.

3. Configure the 6513 as the root bridge for all the vlans.

4. Configure the 6513 for the routing and remove the same from 882.

Please plan proper downtime for this activity.

Let me know if you have any doubt and we will take it through.

regards,

-amit singh

Thanks for you help.

We are running rapid spanning tree on our 882 now so I should be good there.

I have all the VLANs defined on the 6513 already.

I have the 6513 configured so it would be the root bridge for all the vlans.

Our installation isn't that large. We use no intelligent routing. Only static routes. Certain VLANs have secondary subnets defined. Did so as we needed more IP space per VLAN.

We originally paid for installation of the switch last fall but our vendor had an installer leave. I had worked the config for awhile back then and felt I could do it myself. We were refunded the installation dollars. Many other issues got in the way so the actual install got pushed back to now. Would like to get this done over the next week or.

Craig

I think you are good to go if you have done these steps already. If you want we can have a look at you config and possible check /suggest for any config issues. Let us know if you face any problems with your upgrade and we will be more than happy to assist ypu.

-amit singh

How could I get my config to you for review? I would really like to go over this before I try it. Seems like I always run into something midstream. The more I can avoid of that the better for sure. We do have support on our switch but have not gone that route for this as yet.

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: