cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Combining bandwidths on a router

fahim
Level 1
Level 1

The local ISP provides cheaper WAn links in the form of ADSL links, the cost of which is usually 1/3 of the leased MPLS based links.

Both of these terminate on the ethernet interfaces of a router.

I was wondering, if I can combine 3-4 ADSL links of about 4MB each to give me a total of 16Mb capacity for diverting my internal HTTP/SMTP traffic only, what kind of router setup should I be looking at?

How can my design cater to at least load balance the outgoing traffic across all 4 ADSL links while maintaining the incoming connections across the route?

Is there an extra equipment that needs to deployed apart from a router (2811 probably) with an extra HWIC of 4 FE ports?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI Fahim, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

Please find the attachment having the details of Configuring Multilink P - to - P Method and its limitations for your reference.

If your LINK are Internet - Type, also from the Same Provider (ISP), request them to Bundle the LINK's at their side also.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS => Use the RATING System

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Fahim, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

The hardware is enough to support your requirement.

You can go for a "MULTILINK" concept. With Multilink the links are bundled and the traffic is carried over it.

This is a per-packet or per-destination load balancing. But in a Multilink the actual traffic is equally loaded on all the links that are bundled in the MLPPP.

Hope I am informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thanks Prasad, would take a look at this concept in detail, although a quick search for Multilink on Cisco site yielded Multilink results for all sorts of configuration and link classes. Can you pls help me identify the pertinant link?

So, using multilink, I effectively do away with using / enabling GLBP or HSRP/VRRP over any of my interfaces?

and, does enabling multilink on my router, requires me to involve the ISP side in any way?

HI Fahim, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

Please find the attachment having the details of Configuring Multilink P - to - P Method and its limitations for your reference.

If your LINK are Internet - Type, also from the Same Provider (ISP), request them to Bundle the LINK's at their side also.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS => Use the RATING System

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: