cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7961 phones not loading new firmware

phretbored
Level 1
Level 1

I have some phones at our Guam location that are not loading the newest firmware across the WAN from our CCM publisher server.

They should be updating to SCCP41.8-3-4SR1S but they are stuck on either 7.0(3.0S) or TERM61.DEFAULT.

Since these phones are in our Guam location they are far away from our CCM publisher server which is in San Diego, CA.

Everything is withing Cisco specs for a VOIP deployment.

If I jack in a phone to our network here in San Diego it will upgrade properly and then I can ship it to Guam and of course it boots up properly with the current firmware.

Has anybody had a problem like this before?

We have phone in Hawaii and Mexico as well and they upgrade just fine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If your remote router is already providing dhcp to the phones, and you want to serve the files out of the flash out there, you can change the opt 150 address to be the router, and make sure you are serving the file from the router flash with the tftp-server flash:[phoneload], reboot the phone and it should pick up new setting and go look for the load. Or, you can manually change the tftp server address in the phone network settings. You can do tftp debugs on the router to see what is going on if you need to.

Mary Beth

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

It sounds like a TFTP issue for sure. Is there a Firewall blocking UDP 69 for TFTP?

Just a thought,

Rob

Thanks I will look into that.

Our Guam location connecs to San Diego on a P2P link.

There is a Cisco ASA in place as well.

I'll let you know if that works.

Actually there is no firewall or ASA involved in the P2P link between Guam and San Diego.

I think the problem might be in the local router because only the phones at Guam have this trouble.

Every other location is able to load firware without any issues.

Might it be a bandwidth issue, how many phones are trying to upgrade at once? Have you tried one at a time during low traffic hours?

david

It might be a bandwidth issue but I have tried during off hours and also tried one phone at a time.

No luck.

It is only about 10 phones total that need the firmware.

I am able send tftp files from San Diego to the router and switch at Guam.

Do the phones get the TFTP IP address? If the answer is yes, do the following. The procedure is version dependant but it works with most of the versions.

1)Unplug the cable from the phone

2)Hold the # key and replug the cable back

3)Do not release the # key and hold it for about 10 seconds

4)Wait until the lines start flashing

5)As soon as the lines flash, release the # key and dial the following digits using the phone keypad (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,*,0,# in the order. You have 10 seconds to dial all digits. If you fail to dial the above digits within 10 seconds, you may need to start over.

6)The phones release the old firmware and download the new one.

The upgrade procedure may take up to 5-7 minutes for each phone.

MK

Hey thanks for the suggestion.

Yes the phones get ip addresses and register to the CCM.

Everything seems normal.

They work fine when making and receiving calls.

I just can't get them to update the firmware.

I will get someone on site to try what you suggested and let you know what happens.

Ok I have somebody trying this possible fix now.

I noticed there is a setting on the phone config page in CCM that I am unsure about.

The area called "Product Specific Configuration Layout" has a "Load Server" parameter.

Normally this is blank and the phone upgrade just fine.

Does the ip address for the publisher CCM need to be defined here for this forced firmware reload to work?

You don't need to use any IP address in order to force the firmware upgrade.

When you go to the Device ->Device Setting-> Device Default page, do you see the new firmware which you want to upgrade to in the "Load information" field? If so, just follow the instructions I sent you in the previous posting.

Yes the new firmware is there and that is what loads to our phones except for the Guam location.

I did email the instructions to someone at Guam and we are going to try it today.

The 18 hr time difference between San Diego and Guam is slowing this down a bit.

Well we tried this twice on the same phone and no luck.

The employee in Guam reported back to me that "the phone has Cisco Systems on the screen with one big box and a check in it. Headset and mute are lit up and the top right buttons for the phone lines are flashing from top to bottom in an alternating pattern."

Maybe an access list issue?

I am guilty of not checking that before opening this thread.

That's exactly the symptom of upgrading. Let it go for while and if there's no problem with the connection, the upgrade page will appear.

We had a discussion about this in a recent class - they said images don't transfer well over links slower than 2M(!) and so in 6.x they have added a checkbox in the phone config indicating 'remote device', they said that might help, or you will have to put the new phone load on a tftp server local to the phone, can even set it up in router flash (set it up to server the file), and temporarily repoint the phone to that, let it upgrade, and then repoint for normal operation.

Mary Beth

The P2P link to Guam is 768K.

I will try your suggestion and setup the phone load in the local router flash.

Thanks!

There is a TAC case opened for this now as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: