Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3550 48 Port SMI

cjwallace
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.

I am very new to the world of Cisco CLI but not networking in general and have been in networking for many years and i am a Network Administrator. Anyway I have a switch in work that i am now playing with and going to use to learn off.

So i have a Cisco 3550 48 Port SMI switch and i have run the following command to set it back to defaults

write erase

I now need to set the routers IP Address , SubNet Mask , Default gateway so that it can been seen on my LAN.

I have been hunting around trying to find the command but no joy. I do remember doing this a couple of years ago and it was something like set ip or ip address 10.10.1.1

Can anyone help me with the commands.

Many thanks

Craig

4 Replies 4

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Craig

By default all of your interfaces will be in vlan 1, so easiest thing for you to do would be the following.

conf t

int vlan 1

ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.0 (Assuming you are running with a /24 subnet)

no shut

!

end

If you are planning to telnet to the switch once you have configured it with an IP, then you will need to do the following.

conf t

username craig password

enable secret

!

line vty 0 4

login local

!

line vty 5 15

login local

!

end

I would recommend you not using vlan 1 for security reasons, but this will get you up and running and allow you to get onto the switch remotely to configure it.

Hope this helps

Martin

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can make the subnet any vlan you want . First create the layer 2 vlan .

conf t

ip routing

vlan 3,enter

exit

interface vlan 3

ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

interface range f0/1 - 48

switchport access vlan 3

to set the default gateway (if routing is not enabled and in use):

ip default-gateway x.x.x.x