Views
Helpful
Replies

NPE-G2 management interface

scherndon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using the FastEthernet "Management only" interface? All of the docs I've found say it's limited, but I can't find anything that indicates what the limits are. Another user in our network deployed a 4948 switch behind our 7200s and then plugged some other devices into them. So, there's a "management" network hanging off this port on the 7200. It seems to handle routing just fine, I was originally worried that "management only" would only allow telnet/ssh/sdm or something.

Now I need to split the function of a couple of those devices on the single vlan switch and I'm curious if I can set the management port as a dot1q trunk and pass two total vlans to the switch. I'd also need to create sub-interfaces and everything else, but I just don't have any idea if it's even an option with "management only" ports.

Thanks,

Scott

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Scott,

an interface for management only could be unable to route IP traffic.

I had this experience on the management interface of GSR route processor.

You can try and then you can tell the results in the forum, this can be useful for somebody else.

best regards

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another engineer I worked with connected a production link to the management port of either a 7200 or 7300 (forget which). Worked fine until the traffic volume on that interface increased which caused the router's CPU to very early hit 100%. In this case, the "limited" appears to have been for performance, not features.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: