cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance Routing anyone?

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

I've been reading up on performance routing and it looks like it is going to revolutionize routing. I'm just curious if anyone is actually using it and can give me a perspective on how well it is working?

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree that it should "revolutionize routing". I see it somewhat akin like the move from static routing to dynamic (protocol) routing.

Haven't used PfR until recently, and only now on one router (because of it being in the "T" train), but have used OER, its precursor, in a dual MPLS/BGP vendor corporate environment across about 50 sites for over a year.

Overall, the "pain" of using it offsets the problems that are otherwise almost impossible to easily address. The two big ones, when a provider black holes traffic, or when there's performance issue problems within one provider but not the other.

However, and noted above, there is "pain" involved. Many "gotchas" and the OER version, at least, doesn't seem to be mature with regard to stability.

Anyone know when PfR will be fully supported on the Cat6500 ? Apparently only a limited border router capability is implemented within 12.2(33)SXH with no master controller functionality...Thanks...

Thank you, Joseph. It will be nice to see PfR on a mainline version of code (should help push adoption). I have to say that there is a lot of buzz about it in the circles I run in. Can't wait to see it work!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card