Helpful
Replies

CME wiht FXS to a PBX

amaia.lesta
Level 4
Level 4

Dear all,

I have to connect a CME to a NEC Aspire PBX I have two options:

- Use an FXO of the CME to connect to a SLIU interface of the NEC pbx.

- Use an FXS of the CME to connect to a COIU interface of the NEC pbx.

I can't change anything in the NEC configuration.

When any phone in the NEC dials 4+CiscoExtensionNumber it should be connected to the ExtensionNumber in the CME.

The same should happen to phone from a Cisco phone to a NEC phone (you dial 4+NecExtensionNumber).

Until now I've been able to get the follwoing working:

- When connecting a CME-FXO to the NEC pbx a Cisco phone can call to a Nec Extension dialing 4+NecExt.

If a 2nd Cisco phone tries to set a 2nd call it gets ringing tone after dialing but no NEC phone is ringing.

If a NEC phone can't phone a Cisco Extension. I get no ccapi debug in the CME.

- When connecting a CME-FXS to the NEC pbx a nec phone can call a ciscoExtension dialing 4+CiscoExt.

But when a cisco phone dials 4+NecExtension it always is directed to the Operator extension of the Nec(NecExtensionNumber=200), who is a person that answers the phone and they can talk to each other. The ccapi debug is atached for your reference.

This is the configuration of the cme for this part:

voice-port 0/0/1

cptone ES

timeouts call-disconnect 3

description FXS to NECPBX

station-id name FXS

station-id number 0999

!

voice-port 0/1/3

supervisory disconnect dualtone mid-call

compand-type a-law

cptone ES

timeouts interdigit 5

timeouts call-disconnect 1

timeouts wait-release 1

impedance complex2

description FXO to NECPBX

music-threshold -70

caller-id enable

!

dial-peer voice 102 pots

corlist outgoing Local

description toNEC

preference 1

destination-pattern 4...

fax rate disable

direct-inward-dial

port 0/1/3

forward-digits 3

!

!

dial-peer voice 103 pots

corlist outgoing Local

description toNEC

preference 3

destination-pattern 4...

fax rate disable

direct-inward-dial

port 0/0/1

forward-digits 3

!

dial-peer voice 4000 pots

corlist outgoing Local

answer-address 0999

port 0/0/1

!

Could you help me to identify what is wrong with this,please?

Thanks in advance

/Amaia

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's normal that there is no called number when a call goes from FXS to FXO. The only thing a FXS port can do when placing a call, is send ringing current. Normally, it is not possible to pass digits from FXS to FXO.

That's why I was saying that both FXS/FXO pairings are needed for single-stage dialing in this scenario, and is not even guaranteed to work well.

Proper integration of PBX requires ISDN or at very minimum, E&M. There is no way around that.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, for single stage dialing in both direction you need to use BOTH FXS and FXO. After that you configure the port in trunk-group for ease of configuration.

Then if something doesn't work please explain what exactly, because I wasn't able understand that from the above description.

Hi, not sure why the low rating to my post above. My suggestion is 100% correct and factual, if you find otherwise please explain or refrain from rating.

Kapil Atrish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

In the debugs I see called number blank instead of 200. Perhaps when no legitimate number is received NEC directs call to operator.

thanks,

inner silence

It's normal that there is no called number when a call goes from FXS to FXO. The only thing a FXS port can do when placing a call, is send ringing current. Normally, it is not possible to pass digits from FXS to FXO.

That's why I was saying that both FXS/FXO pairings are needed for single-stage dialing in this scenario, and is not even guaranteed to work well.

Proper integration of PBX requires ISDN or at very minimum, E&M. There is no way around that.

I agree with Paolo about using E&M or ISDN if possible. But, I do manage a few integrations that connect a Cisco Router FXS to a FXO on a Panasonic PBX like this:

CallManager----H323GW1------H323GW2/FXS-----FXO/Panasonic

I am able to place calls directly to extensions on the Panasonic by doing the following:

Say, the site is dialed by the pattern 202. Then, say the extension is 1708 that you want to reach. Have the call dialed as 2021708 (Route Pattern in CM is 2021xxx). The H.323 gateway passes all digits 2021708 to the remote gateway, which then has the POTS dial-peer set wioth "destination-pattern 202".

The digits 1708 would then be played out as the call is answered. Verify with "debug voice vtsp all":

May 28 13:37:16.222 EDT: digit_strip:1, pcn:2021708, poa:202

May 28 13:37:16.222 EDT: pcn:1708, poa:

May 28 13:37:16.222 EDT: Final pcn:1708, poa:, dial_string:1708

Hi,

I am not sure if Amaia is doing FXS to FXO.

If I understood correctly he has following options:

CCME FXO to SLIU interface of the NEC pbx

OR

CCME FXS to COIU interface of the NEC pbx.

thanks,

inner_silence

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your replys. In the end it was a matter of cabling.

The NEC was connected to another NEC by several UTP cables and the technician though that each UTP was used for a unique call- each UTP should be connected to FXS/FXO ports.

But this was false,in the UTP each pair of cables (4 pairs in total for each UTP cable) should be connected to an FXS and to an FXO to enable calls to and from CME.

Thanks a lot!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: