cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load a config from Pix to ASA

SOL10
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, im upgrading from a pix 505 v6.3 to an ASA 5505 and Ive saved the config to my tftp server. Can someone please advise how i load this into the new ASA?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

i found the best way to do this to avoid errors (or errors that you dont notice or know about) is to copy/paste only small sections of the existing config at a time. This way, you will see any errors/messages that come up.

I did about a dozen like this without a problem.

like one poster said, make sure your old config isn't use conduits. cisco offers a tool to convert conduits to acl's if you are. occ.exe or something like that, i can't remember.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

The configurations are not 100% compatible!

I do not know of any automated tool. If you were running 6.3 on the ASA and upgraded to 7/8.x - the pix does the conversion, but you are not.

The only way you are going to do it, is manually by hand.

HTH.

Hi Suleiman,

Assuming that your previous version var 6.3(5) that it does have static statements instead conduits, you wont have much trouble.

In ASA firewall, first copy ASA's current config to tftp by

copy running-config tftp://tftpserverip/asaoldconfig

Then to copy the config of 6.3 config, run the folowing in ASA

copy tftp://tftpserverip/6.3config startup-config

wr mem

After you reboot ASA, you will be prompted as "this command is depreceated" or "line xx" if there are complications. Note down these prompts and revise your config.

Regards

i found the best way to do this to avoid errors (or errors that you dont notice or know about) is to copy/paste only small sections of the existing config at a time. This way, you will see any errors/messages that come up.

I did about a dozen like this without a problem.

like one poster said, make sure your old config isn't use conduits. cisco offers a tool to convert conduits to acl's if you are. occ.exe or something like that, i can't remember.

hi guys, thanks for all you help. sorted it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card