cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4402: Using the Service Port for NTP?

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

Here is another question regarding NTP on the WLC. I have looked at the "NTP Configuration and Synchronization for Unified Wireless Network Devices" as suggested by Top Net Pro Rob Huffman.

I also reviewed the configuration guides and they all say the same thing about the Management Interface:

"The management interface is the default interface for in-band management of the controller and connectivity to enterprise services such as AAA servers."

I am wondering if the same is true for NTP. Or can we use the Service Port for NTP given the following situation:

We setup a 4402 controller for internet only access. Due to security reasons, we do not want the traffic crossing the corporate network. We do want to manage the WLC from the corporate network so we setup the service port to do that. It all went well.

Can the controller also use the corporate NTP servers through the service port? While we cannot add a default gateway to the service port interface, we can create a specific route to the NTP server that would point out the service port interface.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks.

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is how I usually stage the WLC and the AP's, by setting the time and time zone on the WLC. I would have to say it is like 50/50 that clients either use an NTP or not.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the thing is, that when you configure NTP on the wlc, the wlc will use the management port and not any other port. so I think the only way you can do this is if your management port is not on your internal network is to use a public NTP server. If you have set your time and time zone on the wlc, then you really don't have to worry about NTP.

-Scott

Actually, we did the very same thing for a customer. We just set the time on the controller.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

That is how I usually stage the WLC and the AP's, by setting the time and time zone on the WLC. I would have to say it is like 50/50 that clients either use an NTP or not.

-Scott

Hi Scott and George,

Thanks for resolving my issue.

Cheers!

Paul

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card