cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

subinterface & frame relay dlci

rehan_uet
Level 1
Level 1

how to change the type of a subinterface to point-to-point once configured as mulipoint or vice versa.

How to remove the "dlci x" from a subinterface once configured through the following configuration

"frame-rely interface-dlci x"

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. depending on IOS version, you can't. create a new subinterface instead

2 no frame-rely interface-dlci x

Muhammad

To supplement the answer from Paolo. I am not aware of any version of IOS where you can change the subinterface type directly. Once you have defined the subinterface type in the interface data structure and the IDB has been allocated you can not change the subinterface type. You would need to remove the subinterface, save the config, reboot the router, then you can configure the subinterface with the other type.

I agree with Paolo that the easy answer is to just configure a new subinterface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how to change the type of a subinterface to point-to-point once configured as mulipoint or vice versa.

Use a different number on the multipoint interface unless is prohibited.

Rack1R1(config)#no inter s1/0.1 point-to-point

Not all config may be removed and may reappear after reactivating the sub-interface

Rack1R1(config)#inter s1/0.2 multipoint

Rack1R1(config-subif)#end

The interface number is arbitrary, in other words, it's locally significant.

HTH,

__

Edison.

The interface number is arbitrary, in other words, it's locally significant.

Just like the DLCI number, that's why something you see them numbered the same for ease of identification.

As far as subinterface is concerned, i will create another one but the service provider has assigned me a DLCI number and I removed it from the previously configured subinterface and but when i assign the same DLCI to another subinterface it give me message 'this DLCI is already in use with another subinterface'. what should i do with it.

Hello,

as suggested by Rick you can reload the router to clean up the IDB table.

Have you removed the old subif as Edi has suggested ?

do you see the DLCI listed in the sh frame-rel pvc ?

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the " no frame-relay interface-dlci X" command as suggested by Rick and then you will be able to put this config on the new interface. Otherwise you can also set the interface to default config by using command " default interface X " and then configure it from scratch. If your DLCI mapping still exists in the " show fr pvc " you might see that error. Try reloading the router as well after removing the interface-dlci.

HTH

-amit singh

thanks guys, 'default interface x' is a wonderful option, with this configuration i can assign the same dlci to the other subinterface without restarting my router.

with 'default interface x' the subinterface was removed from the configuration but could not change the type.

Hello,

it is good that you have provided a feedback.

I suppose that you have used default interface X where X is the physical serial interface (that has a default HDLC encapsulation) and this solved the problem of the DLCI without a reload.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

yes, it is true but only difference is encapsulation it was 'frame-relay' not HDLC.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: