cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI fails after Unity failover

joemccann
Level 1
Level 1

We recently upgraded some Unity servers from 4.0 to 5.0. Everything went pretty smooth but we noticed that MWI is problematic when the primary server fails over to the secondary. I noticed in the integration manager that the subscribers and call handlers were assigned to the primary integration during normal situations, and the secondary showed the subscribers and call handlers as unassigned. When I fail the servers over, the MWI quits working. As soon as I fail back to the primary, I get MWI.

I believe it is related to the fact that the secondary server shows the subscribers and call handlers unassigned to any switch type, but I don't know how to make them assigned. If I manually assign them, then they are unassigned from the primary.

I'm not sure if this related to the 5.0 upgrade or just a previous mis-configuration of the failover.

9 Replies 9

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

I don't think that MWI's or any of the a UTIM is part of replication between the servers. Both servers neet different port names and so on.

Anyway go to UTIM (Manage Intigrations and setup the MWI on and off codes there. Same as the primary.

rlp.

Thanks for your reply. The port names are already different and the MWI DNs are configured the same...

Question did you configure integration when you built the failover server?

What version of Unity I just built a failover I will send you a link to the guide.

rlp

As I stated earlier, these servers were running Unity 4.0 prior to us upgrading them to 5.0 over the past couple of days. The failover and integrations were in place prior to the upgrade. I did, however, re-integrate and re-ran the failover configuration wizard.

Joe,

Sorry this is happening, I am having trouble with it right now also.

Anyway UTIM has changed since 4.0 and you need to rerun it on the secondary server if there is no integration there. UTIM = Manage Integrations. The wizard also asks you which account you want if any to acciate with this server/integration.

rlp

Configuring the Voice Messaging Ports on the Secondary Server

After running the failover configuration wizard on the secondary server, you must enter settings for the voice messaging ports (for example, set the ports for Answer Calls, Dialout MWIs).

To Configure the Voice Messaging Ports on the Secondary Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 After the secondary server restarts, on the Windows Start menu, click Programs > Cisco Unity > Manage Integrations. The Cisco Unity Telephony Integration Manager (UTIM) appears.

Step 2 In the left pane of the UTIM window, click the phone system integration you are creating.

Step 3 In the right pane of the UTIM window, click the Ports tab.

Step 4 Enter the port settings. For details on the settings needed by the phone system, refer to the applicable Cisco Unity integration guide. (Integration guides are available at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution When programming the phone system, do not forward calls to voice messaging ports in Cisco Unity that cannot answer calls (voice messaging ports that are not set to Answer Calls). For example, if a voice messaging port is set only to Dialout MWI, do not forward calls to it.

Step 5 Click Save.

Step 6 Exit UTIM.

I think you're in a situation where the integration ids on your primary and secondary server don't match.

See this bug:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsd84187

This bug seems to be under internal review from Cisco. Can you send me the details of the bug?

MI: Automated check for Integration IDs matching with failover needed

Symptom:

When the primary Unity fails over to the secondary and the MWI and Message Notifications stop working, the Integration IDs probably do not match.

Conditions:

The customer will have a failover environment with single integrations or multiple integrations. This condition usually occur when the customer creates and deletes integrations multiple times.

It is possible for a customer to create and delete integrations multiple times (let's say 4 times) because they are uncertain how to configure the integrations. So, fourth time is the charm. Now with the secondary they know exactly what to do. They create the integration the first time. The state is that the primary's Integration ID is set to 3 and the secondary's is set to 0. In this circumstance, the users' MWI and Message Notifications are set to the primary's Integration ID, which is 3. When failover happens, the MWIs and Message Notifications will be looking for Integration 3. Hence, no MWI or Message Notification will be sent out. Solution -- make sure the Integration IDs match.

Workaround:

See "Setting Up the Secondary Server for Failover" in any of the CUCM configuration guides for Unity, for example this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/integration/cucm_sccp/guide/cuintcucmskinny220.html#wp1049717

Here is the pertinent information:

Step 9 On the Integration tab, compare the setting of the Integration ID field for the secondary server to the setting of the Integration ID field for the primary server.

Step 10 If the integration IDs of the phone system on the primary and secondary server are the same, skip to Step 16.

If the integration IDs of the phone system on the primary and secondary servers are different, on the secondary server, click Modify Integration ID.

Step 11 When cautioned that subscribers associated with the current Integration ID setting will not be automatically associated with the new Integration ID setting, click OK.

Step 12 In the Modify Integration ID dialog box, in the Enter New Integration ID field, enter the Integration ID setting for the phone system on the primary server and click OK.

Step 13 Click Save. At the prompt to restart the Cisco Unity services, click Yes.

I am not Cisco.

rlp.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: