cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Zero-touch deployment ...

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I want to do some tests with the CNS 'Configuration Engine' and a ME-3400G-2CS-A (4 gig port Metro Switch) .

The target is to implement a zero-touch deployment of these switches but I am struggling with the very first step.

The ME-3400G should get its IP address from a DHCP server but gi 0/1 and gi0/2 are shutdown by default. When the switch is powered up I cannot see any DHCP request from the switch (it is factory default and starts with the config dialog). But the doc says it is possible and do not mention any restriction to the ports:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swipaddr.html#wp1036156

Has anybody experience with these kind of switches?

I cannot use gi0/3 or gi0/4 as they are SFP ports whereas gi0/1 and gi0/2 are multi-media capable (SFP or Copper-Rj45) and I only have a Rj45 connector which I can use....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The NNI ports are your uplinks, so it would make sense that they would be the ones that would be asking for DHCP offers. When connected, you should get an IP on VLAN 1.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't have any experience with CNS, but my understanding is that "Zero Touch" isn't really zero touch. The switch will need an initial configuration to tell it how to contact the CNS server (see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swcns.html#wp1037104 for a 3560 example).

Since the dual-purpose ports on a ME-3400 are configured as UNIs by default, that means they are shutdown by default. The SFP-only NNI ports are enabled by default, but as you said, you can't use them sicne you don't have SFP modules.

you are right, even 'Zero Touch' needs to be touched :-)

But I thought of the possibility to give a device its initial config via dhcp (IP, hostname and CNS config) and the rest should be handled through the Config Engine.

As the switch does not have any config it should start with a dhcp discover if the initial config dialog will not be answered. I was wondering why I don't see this step when I am connected at the console of the ME-3400. So it seems that the dhcp requests will only be sent if one of the NNI ports is up and running or the requests are just invisible on the console.

I think I need the SFP modules to get a step further - and to get the device located locally and not at a remote site as it is currently...

The NNI ports are your uplinks, so it would make sense that they would be the ones that would be asking for DHCP offers. When connected, you should get an IP on VLAN 1.

yeah, that was it! Finally I obtained a SFP module and the ME did send the DHCP request. The switch gets the CNS config (currently a 2 liner!) from a tftp server.

Now, along with option82, it is really only plugging in the ME-3400 the rest is done automatically...I only have to configure the DHCP server and the ConfigEngine which can be done centrally.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: