cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One cable modem, two ASA 5505's

bill_baxter
Level 1
Level 1

is it possible to setup two ASA's behind a cable modem? currently i have the modem, then a switch, then the two ASA's. one is configured with with pulic ip x.x.x.79 and the other is congifured with public ip x.x.x.127. however, only one will work at a time. i need to do this because i don't have access to (.79) and need to setup a new ASA (.127) thanks, bill

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Bill,

It looks like the solution is dependent on the ASA licenses that you have. If you have the advanced security licence you need a switch between the modem and the ASA's so that you can use the active/standby feature. If you don't you will need a router with three interfaces to meet your requirement so that you can use the router as your gateway.

Mark

Mark,

Don't know what license is on one of the ASA's since i can't access. The one I purchased is the asa5505-sec-bun-k9. Thanks for your response and I will look into the active/standby feature.

Bill

Bill,

You will need the security plus (ASA5505-SEC-PL) license to use the active/standby failover feature.

Mark

What do you mean when you say you can't access it? I assume you currently have a working setup using the existing ASA and now for some reason you want to bypass this ASA and put another one inline? It's a bit difficult to understand the logic here.. Internally your traffic will be pointing to the existing ASA as an exit point from your network, if you put another one inline you will need to configure your internal network to use this new 'Gateway'.

Is there some reason why you can't access the existing ASA? Can't you just do a password recovery?

Andy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card