cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP

drnteam
Level 1
Level 1

What is the default route means in EIGRP. How it works.

Thanks in advance

8 Replies 8

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Do you mean how to pass on default route in EIGRP?

EIGRP does not redistribute the 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 default route by default. However, if the network 0.0.0.0 command is added to the EIGRP configuration, it redistributes a default route as a result of the ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 interface command (but not as a result of the ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 address or ip default-network command).

For example, the following configuration results in the 0.0.0.0 route being passed to the EIGRP neighbors of the router.

Router(config)#interface serial 0/0/0

Router(config-if)#ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

Router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0/0/0

!

Router(config)#router eigrp 100

Router(config-router)#network 0.0.0.0

HTH

Narayan

Thanks Narayan,

U cleared my path.

Ru from Mphasis Bangalore

Thanks and Regards

Eldose

Yup... do you know anyone in Mphasis?

Narayan

Yes, i know all the Fedex group in Mphasis, Bangalore

Eldose George

Network Engineer

HSBC BANK Middle East LTD

Dubai Internet City

Narayan:

Please excuse me, I dont mean to be a jerk, but are you sure about that? I do believe that you can redistribute a default route into EIGRP without using the network 0.0.0.0 command under the eigrp process. The ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 command in global config mode, along with the redistribute static command under the eigrp process should do.

eigrp 100

redistribute static

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1

Do you agree?

Victor

Victor,

You are correct and you can introduce a default route with the redistribute static command.

My post was for originating a default route in EIGRP without the redistribution command. The only difference would be that in my case the default route would be an EIGRP internal route and in your case it would be treated as an external route

HTH

Narayan

Hello Narayan,

with EIGRP there is also another way : using the ip default-network command. I tried it and it works.

It uses the external flag that is part of an EIGRP route data structure. This flag is set in the advertisement of the network that is declared in the ip default-network command. The meaning is that there is a gateway of last resort connected to that network.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Narayan:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I agree with you on the internal/external thing. Perhaps I misread your post and understood it to mean that its not possible to redistribute a static default and make it work. My bad...

Thank you for your time, and my apologies...

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: