cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use seperate CSU/DSU or WIC T1 CSU/DSU for WAN link?

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

Forgive me but I just had a basic question about hardware.

Our network was designed and implemented (before I got here) by a CCIE.

All branches have MPLS connectivity and 2800 series routers.

At each site, he used a seperate CSU/DSU.

I don't know why he did that when you can have a WIC T1 CSU/DSU for a cleaner connection and one less thing to supply power to.

Is there any technical reason to do that that I am unaware of that makes a better or safer or more efficient connection?

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is really no technical reason and is better to use integrated CSU/DSU for the very reasons you mentioned.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks Paolo.

Richard

I agree with Paolo that there is not much technical reason to prefer separate CSU/DSU. But is it possible that there was some financial or political reason to choose this (layers 8 and 9 of the multi layered model)? Is it possible that the circuits with separate CSU/DSU existed with older routers and the routers were upgraded (in which case it probably was less expensive to keep the existing CSU/DSU and use a less expensive serial card)? Is it possible that in negotiating for provisioning of the circuits the provider gave an especially attractive price for circuits with CSU/DSU included? Is it possible that in setting up Service Level Agreements where responsibility for the performance of the serial links goes to the provider that they wanted/needed control of the CSU/DSU?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card