cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2924 VLAN/VTP

davidschuetz
Level 1
Level 1

Does a catalyst switch running ios version 12.0(5) support running a vtp domain configuration. Where vtp clients receive updates from the vtp server? If so can someone help me with the Syntax?

Thank you,

David

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

David,

Go over this link, provides all necesary syntax for configuring vtp server, vtp clients.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/releasesa4/eesoftconfig/mascvtp.html

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I think this article had the most information though. My problem was I was trying to find the configuration and syntax from global configuration mode. Thanks for the info jorgemcse.

David

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

take care of the different limit in the number of vlans supported that exist on different platforms.

If your c2924 can support only 128 vlans (for example) and more vlans exist in your vtp domain the c2924 will automatically changes its mode to vtp transparent to protect itself.

I've experienced this problem some years ago.

hope to help

Giuseppe

jahilnt10
Level 1
Level 1

Well,

To get the advantages of VTP you need to have one switch acting as VTP server.

lets say, you got two switch A and B.

lets make Switch A as VTP server and select domain name for the VTP.

Swtich-A(config)# vtp mode server

Swtich-A(config)# vtp domain jahil

You can create vlans on server A those you want to replicate with rest of the domain.

On switch B you have to configure vtp mode. If you want to replicate you need to set vtp mode CLIENT or SERVER. If you don't want to participate in VTP domain set it to transparent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card