cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RJ48 or RJ45 Help for PRI

victor2008
Level 1
Level 1

I've read that while an RJ45 will work, an RJ48C should be used for a PRI coming from smart jack into a Cisco vwic. Today a customer has the PRI connected to a pbx. I looked at the face plate and I can't tell if it's an rj48 or rj45. Their cabling guy said it's just an rj45 cable from faceplate to their pbx.

So what will happen if I go to use the correct RJ48 when I remove PRI from PBX? Will it work for sure, or is it likely that the smartjack is RJ45 and thus the RJ48 will not work? Is the correct thing to do is to have the faceplate removed and replaced with an rj48c?

Any and all advise is appreciated.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What they're saying is that a RJ45 male fits any jack.

Beside, many smartjacks are NOT keyed anyway.

In fact, original cisco PRI cables have no key.

So you're OK with regular RJ45 connectors to make a custom made cable. If possible, use proper 100 Ohm T1 cable, especially if the patch is longish.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Physically it's the same connector.

What matters is the pinout, going to a smartjack you want a straight cable using the proper pairs. That is NOT the same as an ethernet cable. The pinout is easy to find searching "vwic pinout" in the search function.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Doesn't it depend on the smartjack? The customer has PRI going into one room (demarc). Then pri is extended to server room, and connected from smart jack to pbx. Trying to understand the physical specs and Cisco has stated the below, which implies smart jack type is important.

Q. What is the difference between RJ48 and RJ45?

* RJ48 has a keyed connector and a notched jack.

* RJ45 does not have a key or a notch.

* Both have 8 pins.

Although an RJ45 connector fits an RJ48 jack, the key on an RJ48 connector does not allow it to plug into an RJ45 jack.

What they're saying is that a RJ45 male fits any jack.

Beside, many smartjacks are NOT keyed anyway.

In fact, original cisco PRI cables have no key.

So you're OK with regular RJ45 connectors to make a custom made cable. If possible, use proper 100 Ohm T1 cable, especially if the patch is longish.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: