Views
Helpful
Replies

Making a HWIC-D-9ESW EtherSwitch talk to the router

rstevek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just installed a 2801 router with a HWIC-D-9ESW 9-port EtherSwitch. This is my first experience with the EtherSwitches and I'm having some problems.

All of the EtherSwitch ports were recognized by the router, but the switched and routed interfaces were not talking to each other. In order to make it work, I had to patch a cable between a port on the EtherSwitch and F0/0 on the router, assign an IP address to F0/0, and use the "bridge irb" command.

I can't believe that this is the way that this is intended to work - and plus, I'm now short one port for my nine devices. What am I missing?

One thought is that I have 12.4 on the router and maybe I need 12.4T - is this the case?

Thanks,

- Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve,

No necessarily. The only reason to create an additional Vlan other Vlan1 is if you were to have some inter-vlan routing within the module.

In your case, just assign the IP address under Vlan 1 and leave the switchport as is. You should be able to ping from Vlan 1 to the connected device on the switchport if they reside in the same IP subnet.

Thanks for the rating !

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve,

The HWIC-D-9ESW provides you layer2 switchport connectivity unlike the regular FastEthernet ports that come with the router.

In order to have Layer3 connectivity, you need to associate the switchports to a Vlan and assign the IP to the Vlan (similar process to a regular switch).

By default the switchports are assigned to Vlan 1, you must manually create a Vlan (by using vlan database command in the EXE mode) and also create a SVI (Switch Virtual Interface) which will represent the Layer3 instance of those switchports.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Hi Edison,

Thanks! That's got me going in the right direction. One question - is it necessary for me to move the switchports from VLan 1 to the new VLan I create?

Thanks,

- Steve

Hi Steve,

No necessarily. The only reason to create an additional Vlan other Vlan1 is if you were to have some inter-vlan routing within the module.

In your case, just assign the IP address under Vlan 1 and leave the switchport as is. You should be able to ping from Vlan 1 to the connected device on the switchport if they reside in the same IP subnet.

Thanks for the rating !

__

Edison.

Hi Edison,

Thank YOU for the help!

- Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card