Views
Helpful
Replies

MARS bugs

zarathushtra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi~

I've found bugs in MARS software. The first one is in "Reporting" system: for each query/report MARS creates internal XML file, and it's possible to create incorrect XML without end-tags. This buggie 'report' remains undeleted in the system with "System Error" red msg. This problem is nor resolved even after system reboot, not after software update (5.3.2->5.3.3->5.3.4). MARS creates report which is impossible to delete/edit. Reports duplicated from this one are also cause the same problems.

I can provide full bug-report if someone will help to force patch releasing for that (of cource official patch from CiscoSystems) as soon as possible. TAC is still unresolve it.

Enother one is in tcpdump. Terrible - they even didn't analyze libpcap code before put it in production. I need more time to exlpore it...may be later I write about it.

Is it possible that Cisco provide full shell (bash/csh) on their appliances? It's not a sicret that MARS (and not only MARS) works on Linux and shell will help to troubleshoot issues and fix some bugs manually. I think that if someone want to hack it hi will do it even without shell.

1 Reply 1

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Samko,

Please voice your complaints to your Account Manager and local Cisco SE. I agree it is not a perfect product, though no product comes without issues.

As for troubleshooting, there is no way Cisco will ever give full shell access on their appliances. I worked one day with Dale Tesch, the guy who helped develop the product and wrote the first MARS book for Cisco Press, and he lamented the fact that he didn't have full shell access. If he doesn't have it then customers will never have it.

The official explanation given to me was that it would be too hard for TAC to support MARS if they let customers and partners make changes from the shell.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: