cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

want to Connect my router to Internet

atul.trivedi12
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, we have CISCO 3600 series router with 4 ethernet ports . i want to connect Internet with my router and ISP which is currently running at the site is on Dynamic IP. so could u please provide me a Demo Configuration tht how can i connect internet to our router.

8 Replies 8

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I think u can connect the link from u r ISP in one of the ethernet ports as u said that they are providing dynamic IPs u have to configure the port in which u r connecting the ISP link as below.

config t#

.........#interface

........if#ip address dhcp

and u need to configure NAT.

It will be helpful if u give us a overview of u r topology.

Thanks

Mahmood

First of all thax a lot , i want internet connection for specific users in my organisation and i am using a broadband 256 Kbps DSL line. so i want to terminate tht 256 KBPS DSl line on my router and want to use this for internet connectivity ,

You need a wic-1adsl card. Do you have that ?

Hi

Both adsl and dsl are using same kind of interfaces? Is adsl is comng with small Pin while dsl like normal RJ 45 type? DSL we can terminate on FE port. But for ADSL you need the WIC ADSL Card.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

regards

Thax for support.i have a DSL to Ethernet converter , by which can i terminate the link on FE. and please suggest me what should i know from Service provider for configuration . is there any information will be required from service provider . or i can implement a normal configuration .

Please suggest me what configuration should be used by me to configure the Interface , i have to configure IP route for the same , or itz not required , now can u please provide me a sample configuration which i can implement on router.

Hi Atul,

You first need to determine whether you have to get a dynamic IP from the SP on the router ethernet connection or the static IP. If dynamic than you can use the command pasted above by one of the poster. If static then we have to manually put the IP on the interface.

Then you have to configure NAT on the router to translate all the internal IP to the IP provided by the SP.

Please use the link below for the sample configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e77.shtml#topic3

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi, best would if you get wic-1dsl card.

If you can't, ask ISP if they are using bridged IP, or PPPoe, or PPPoA. It's easy to tell as these latter come with username/passwrd.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card