Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to view events via IME

ankurs2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have recently installed Cisco IME so as to analyze the IPS Events .The issue is that the events are not coming on IME at all. When i see from the sensor itself (via "show events alert past 00:10 command ) there are huge no. of events coming on the console itself but not on IME . Earlier they use to come perfectly. Also there is no issue with the COMMUNICATION from IME Server to the Sensor (Telnet on 443 is happening )

Please help me out in this regard

Ankur

14 Replies 14

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ankur, can you please let us know you IPS platform and software version?

Regards

Farrukh

There is no single IME which is giving issue , it is happening with our 2 /3 customers having IPS . Some of them are having

1) IPS - 4240 , Version 5.1(5)E1

2) ASA IPS 6.0(2)E1 ASA-SSM-10

Please help me in this regard

In the Devices >> Device List >> Sensor Name

Under "Event Status", do you see "Connected" or "Not Connected"?

Did you try to right click on the Sensor(s) and do:

Starts >> Events Connection

Please note health monitoring and most other features are only supported for Version 6.1.x and not the versions you mentioned.

Hi

I have verified and the status for all the IME is connected . The Start -> Event conenction is not highlighted and is blurred . Please tell me how to proceed

Ankur

Btw, I faced a similar issue with Four IDSM-2 of one of our customers, they were not showing any events yesterday. Today I came and opened IME and the events started coming. I changed nothing for sure.

You may have a look at Tools >> IME Console Window and see if you are getting any specific errors

hi happs

i have seen and observed that events come on the IME and suddenly one day it will stop coming and are stopped till next few days , and again it starts coming .When the events donto come those days i have observed that the events do come on the sensor itself

This kind of trend clearly says that it may happen due to database issue .Please let me know till what time the database will store events .Is there any probability that the events coming on the sensor do not reach the IME Machine (conside 443 port is opened and the sensor is showing as connected)

Ankur

Had a similar issue. Took a look at the client-log file in the Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco IPS Manager Express\log folder. The last entries had an error about a crashed table. Repaired the mysql table from the command line amd restarted IME. I can now see events in IME.

What is the command to do this, for future refence(sorry I am not a DB guy)

Regards

Farrukh

Quick way to do this.

Open up a command prompt on Windows

Change directory to the Cisco IME folder. (in my case, this was C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco IPS Manager Express>)

Type the following commands:

more my.ini (look for the port value, in my case it was 47007)

cd MYSQL\bin (takes you to the directory containing the mysql executable)

mysqlcheck.exe -P 47007 --auto-repair alarmDB

You can change 47007 to whatever value you came up with in the my.ini file. The alarmDB dtabase is where Cisco IME stores it's data. The last command will run a check on all the tables in the database. If you know the particular table that's having issues, you can use :

mysqlcheck.exe -P 47007 --auto-repair alarmDB tablename

eg

mysqlcheck.exe -P 47007 --auto-repair alarmDB event_table_1

HTH

Hi Adeleke,

Thanks for posting a great response. I rate it a "5" for all of us who might have to troubleshoot this in the future. It's always nice to know what to look for instead of simply making an educated guess.

Best,

Paul

Kamal Machareka
Level 1
Level 1

I found the response about refreshing the SQL database table valuable, but it didn't fix my problem. In my case it was an expired certificate. To fix this I issued the "tls generate-key" command from the IPS command prompt, then in IME select the sensor from "Home" then "Edit" and click "Ok" without any changes. It will prompt you to accept the new certificate and the Events Connection started working normally ever since.

Hope this helps.

ugabichipaopao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am doing exactly what is described and I get a next error : 

mysqlcheck.exe: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (usin g password: NO) when trying to connect

Event status still Not connected! Please help with this issue.

I am also getting the same error while troubleshooting the events issue.

Is this an error related to SQL?

tejeu_tejeu
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am also facing the same error:

1.mysqlcheck.exe: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (usin g password: NO) when trying to connect

2.I am able to see only real time events but not able to view any past logs on IME (IPS Manager Express)? what are possible cause? I am able to see the events in IDM

We are using ASA-SSM-10 module, Engine version 7.0(5)E4

Steps taken to resolve this issue:

I have deleted and re-added the devices

Restarted the services Steps taken to resolve this issue:
I have deleted and re-added the devices
Restarted the services

Kindly help on this issue.

Regards,

Tej

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card