Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless user tracking issue

mkareemashraf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello sir,

We are using cisco works LMS 3.0 in our network.

In our network we have access point 1130 Object ID : 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.618 , Cisco IOS Software, C1130 Software (C1130-K9W7-M), Version12.3(8)JA2.

In campus Manager, user tracking we are unable to trace the wireless clients who are connected to these wireless access points.

In report generator I have selected wireless report option with wireless end hosts but it is displaying the error no wireless end host found.

In user tracking acquisition portal it displaying all end host Mac address accept wireless clients.

For your clarification, snmp community string is configured correctly and we are able to view wireless access point in cisco view and campus manager topology.

We are having problem only in user tracking.

What we have to do in order to solve this issue.

Thank you,

With regards,

kareem

31 Replies 31

mkareemashraf
Level 1
Level 1

wireless access point is Autonomous Access point not light weight Access point

any updates for this issue

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please post the running config from this AP.

Sorry,due to security reason we cannot give the complete running configuration .

Please specify exactly what you need,so that i can send it.

thanks,

kareem

dainat-bis
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same problem.

swizzlestick
Level 1
Level 1

CiscoWorks LMS doesn't really support WLANs. He can find the wireless users, but he connects them to the switch the AP is connected to.

for example: if AP1 is connected to Port1 on Switch1, then the wireless users connected to AP1 will be connected to Port1 on switch1.

Just look in the user tracking list on the homepage of campus manager. You will probably find that some switchports have multiple users, even the AP will be seen as user to that port.

if you want full management of you WLAN you need to install extra software like:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3915/

Not in our setup ( LMS 3.0.1 ). All switchports with a Access-Point connection don't show any mac-address on these ports.

LMS is an element management system, not really suited for tracking down wireless endpoints.

Up until yesterday you had two optionsto track down wirless users: WLSE or WCS with the location appliance.

Today Cisco announced a new product to replace the location appliance:

http://www.cisco.com/go/mse/

Campus can find wireless users on APs. The catch is the APs need to be configured for trunking and multiple VLANs. Campus will poll the Q-BRIDGE-MIB to get the MAC address information. If you are not using multiple VLANs, then the Q-BRIDGE-MIB will not be populated, and this will not work.

Thanks for u r support. I am attaching my AP configuration for u r reference .

Please check the configuration and guide us what solution suits to our network.

regards

kareem

User Tracking should work for you. Since we added WLSE integration in Campus Manager 5.0, we disabled AP acquisitions by default. Since you are using multiple VLANs, and if you don't already have a WLSE managing this AP, add the following to NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/ut.properties:

APRunCollection=true

Then run a new User Tracking acquisition. The users on this AP should show up.

We have added APRunCollection=true at the end of UT.properties and then we ran the user tracking acquisition many times. However the access point clients are still not appearing in our Campus Manager.

I am attaching a selected debug file output for UT Service, please review it and let us know the corrective measures.

Since our Wireless access point is connected to a trunk port on the floor switches, do we need to select one the the following options in UT >> Admin >> Campus User tracking acquisition >> Configure trunk for End host discovery

Enable End Host Discovery on all Trunks

Enable End Host Discovery on selected Trunk(s)

Once again thanks in advance

Regards

Kareeem

Looks like there is a problem fetching the VLAN data from this AP. Please post the output of an snmpwalk of dot1qNumVlans (1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.1.4).

sir,i am attaching snmpwalk debug information .

please review it .

Thanks a lot for your support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: