Views
Helpful
Replies

VTPv2 Transparent Mode - Not forwarding VTP packets in different Domain

layer3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm doing some testing in the Lab and have 3 x 3750's daisy chained together running VTP, with 802.1q trunks hardcoded.

SW1 <--> SW2 <--> SW3

SW1 and SW3 are in VTPv1 domain A and are both in 'Server Mode'. However, SW2 is in VTPv2 domain B and in Transparent mode.

According to the Cisco Doc VTP Version 2 (SW2) supports only one domain, and it forwards VTP messages in transparent mode without inspecting the version and domain name.

However, I am not seeing this happen. When I increment the revision number on SW1, I am not seeing the VTP updates propagate to SW3, and vice-versa.

Has anyone experienced this behavior? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced.

Mario.

6 Replies 6

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Unfortunately this not going to happen,u need to have the transparent switch in the same domain then it will forward the VTP messages.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

Thats interesting... despite what the doc CD says about v2 Transparent mode, this will not work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swvtp.html#wp1035121

So basically the doc CD is incorrect?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mario.

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Yes it does support but only in VTP v2. Check the version of VTP you are running.

Check "VTP version2 mode" in "sh vtp status".

Hi bvsnarayana03,

Yes SW2 is already in VTP v2 Transparent mode, and is not passing VTP messages from SW1 and SW3 on. SW1 and SW3 are in a different VTP domain.

Thanks.

Mario.

I'm referring you to another link on similar discussion. Here it was tested & confirmed that things work as mentioned in doc.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN,%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB?cmd=display_location&location=.2cbe7b75

Hi bvsnarayana03,

Thanks for the information.

However, I still have the issue. SW2 has VTPv2 mode enabled as per 'show vtp status'. When I change the VTP domain on SW2 to A (same as SW1 and SW3), and then increase the revision number on SW1, I immediately see VTP messages propagate to SW3. I am not seeing this behavior though when SW2 is in a different domain.

As for the link you referred me too... very interesting... Unless this issue is hardware/software depended? I tried the same setup with 3560's and still get the same result.

When I get access to the lab next week, I will span the trunk port from SW2 --> SW3 and see if VTP messages are being passed on. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Mario.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card