Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Gateways/Default routes

zanub
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is it possible to configure 2 gateways or 2 default routes on a switch.

The setup is we have an old 4000 series switch and a new 3560 switch.The new switch is connected to an MPLS cloud which is for datacenter access and does not have internet access. so when i move the users into the new switch, how do we point users to go to old switch gateway for internet access and new switch gateway for datacenter access..

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Zanub

You do not indicate in your post whether the 3560 will be operating as a layer 2 switch or operating as a layer 3 switch. It would be important to know this to be able to accurately answer your question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply..The 3560 switch is operating as L3.Ip routing is enabled.ip classless/ip subnet-zero etc enabled. We also have VLAN's configured in the 3560.

Thanks..

Zanub

If the 3560 is operating as a layer 3 switch with ip routing enabled then you do not need 2 gateways or 2 default routes. You would just need for the 3560 to have a route for the data center through the MPLS and to have a default route pointed back through the old 4000 switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

As of now we have one default route pointing to the MPLS. So i guess we will have to remove that and add allllll... the different networks using static route that will be in MPLS cloud right.

Thanks....

Are you running a routing protocol? If not you could set up eigrp on the 3560 and redistribute the static routes from the old switch.

No routing protocols planned. only static routes. i guess i can have static routes for all the private networks ranges and one default route pointing to the old switch default gateway(firewall/router).

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card