Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Switch to Router

zanub
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

a simple question i guess..but need confirmation..we have configured vlans on my l3 switch and this is connected to a router. l3 switch is configured for ip routing.

Here are the below configurations.

For switch this is configured..

interface FastEthernet0/3

description TRANSIT VLAN

switchport access vlan 70

switchport mode access

!

interface Vlan70

description transit

ip address 10.191.28.8 255.255.255.240

This is fa0/3 port is connected to router with below config

interface FastEthernet1/0/3

no switchport

ip address 10.191.28.2 255.255.255.240

speed 100

duplex full

no cdp enable

my question is, Is the transit vlan really required?shouldn't it be just like a normal "no switchport" in the switch fa0/3 with ip address configured??does the current config have any advantages..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Zanub,

The only real good reason I would use a transit VLAN would be for synamic routing - but I guess you could use it for anything you want.

If your situation - it does not really enhance your network. I would turn fa0/3 into a normal switch port - and let the router talk to the l3 interface in the switch.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Zanub,

The only real good reason I would use a transit VLAN would be for synamic routing - but I guess you could use it for anything you want.

If your situation - it does not really enhance your network. I would turn fa0/3 into a normal switch port - and let the router talk to the l3 interface in the switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card