Helpful
Replies

LINKSYS Router or CISCO Router?

subzero77
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts, need your insights on this one

I need to break broadcasts in my company's LAN

Can a LINKSYS router [which i believe is more of a switch though never used 1 b4] do this or should I get a Cisco router?

5 Replies 5

muca
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I know little about LinkSys...but what I know is that it's recommended for small offices, home offices...

It really depends on your needs...is it just to segment the LAN? What about the future? LAN expansion, Ipphones, new services...

I believe it's better to get a layer 3 switch but as I told you it really depends on your needs!

What I really suggest is check both sites and compare products based on your needs, but if it's a small network I don't thing linksys would be a bad choice though.

HTH

thanks muca

the THING I need to know is does LINKSYS break broadcast domains or do i need a CISCO router for that. If there was money to play around with, I'd have been playing with the Router by now but management have me hanging on a budget.

Hi there,

To break up a LAN broadcast domain you would need a router with separate Ethernet or fast Ethernet interfaces not hub ports (i guess you linksys just has hub ports). I know my home router is a router/hub combined and the 4 Ethernet ports just acts a hub. Can you post the model of your linksys?

don't have 1 yet but proposing to buy the WRT54GS or WRT54GL or WRT54G models since it also supports wired networks which is what obtains where i work. when we deploy wireless [hopefully soon], it will also be useful

thanks grichardson 4 pointing out something that i believe has thrown great light to the question i asked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card