cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Green fields FM install

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

I tried to install FM (the one you have to download) onto a new server and just could not get it to install using Postgres. It seemed to have a problem with not finding the user and/or issues with virus scanners which were not running. All I can say is that the documention needs to be a lot clearer about usernames and what they expect to achieve. After hours and hours, I finally gave up and put Oracle 10g Express on and used that as part of the install. It went on with no problems at all.

Has anyone actually put on FM when using Postgres and it worked?

Stephen

3 Replies 3

plowden
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Stephen,

Many users like myself have had no problem with Postgres on Windows, but some do. Problems usually stem from an issue with the postgres user creation because the Windows host is logged into an Active Directory (AD) domain, and/or issues with the postgres user's file/directory access permissions because of a non-default security policy. Granted, the install guide doesn't go into all the details, but that's because most customers don't run into them and customers' Windows security setups can vary widely.

Oracle 10g Express is easier to install since only a special database user is needed for Fabric Manager. Since Oracle is more scaleable than Postgres, it was probably a good move for you to install it for that reason alone.

Some hints about Postgres installs (credits to Ron Kelley of Cisco):

- install Postgres while on the console

- run installer with LOCAL administrator privileges

- if installer fails, make a LOCAL postgres user with a strong password and put it in "Power Users" or "Users" group (not local or domain administrators), and under "Local security policy/grant user rights assignment" allow "log on as service" and "log on locally."

- if installer still fails, check directory and file "read & execute," "list folder contents," and "read permission" access rights for the postgres user on C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL, the postgres user directory, and the C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directories.

Regards,

Phil Lowden

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the time to create the response. I hope that someone else finds it and helps them along. It was a frustrating experience because I could not determine what was going wrong. I doubt that our security people would be happy with some of the hints.

At least it is on and running and thats what is important.

Stephen

sysfhw
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I managed to get it to work. I had to exclude the directories from antivirus scanning. The first time I tried to install it, I found out that the install script truncated the database user name that I supplied (postgreSQL) to 8 characters (postgres) when it created the Windows user, which broke everything. So I re-installed using the database user name 'postgres' and it finally worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: