cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN failover Design !

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, i would like to get some guidance on the VPN failover design, just like we do in BGP where the neighbours form neighbour relationship with each others loopback addresses, can we do the same in site to site VPN ? like both of the peers form vpn on some GLOBAL ip ( like ip on loopback or ethernet interface ) so that if 1 of the link goes down vpn is not disrupted..

Any idea ??

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Dear Andrew, i am not looking for a new type of vpn :) i am looking for a failover design for site to site vpn only ...

Any idea ??

What is you corrent VPN hardware? Are you running a dynamic routing protocol? What layer 3 routing devices are you running?

My design is very simple. I have 2 routers RA and RB connected via 2 serial links. now in normal cases of site to site vpn i will establish peering between RA and RB on any of these serial links ip addresses. but i want to peer between some GLOBAL ip on both of these routers to ensure transparent redundancy !!

i hope this clarifies

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: