Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC - DHCP Server (Override) and

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys,

A little confused. If I want my wireless clients to pick up a DHCP address from my corporate DHCP servers, do I need to click the Override button on, for the WLC to act as a relay agent, or the docs say that this happens by default?

Can someone pls confirm, as this is a little confusing. The help files mentions the below also???

Many thx indeed,

Ken

DHCP Server (Override)

----------------------

When Override is selected, you can enter the IP address of your DHCP server. This is a required field for some WLAN configurations. There are three valid configurations:

- DHCP Server Override ON, a valid DHCP Server IP address, and DHCP Address Assignment Required: Requires all WLAN clients to obtain an IP address from the DHCP Server.

- DHCP Server Override ON, a valid DHCP Server IP address, and DHCP Address Assignment Not Required: Allows all WLAN clients to obtain an IP address from the DHCP Server or use a static IP address.

- DHCP Server Override OFF: Forces all WLAN clients to use the DHCP setting in the Management Interface, not the static address.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Ken,

Your WLC is acting by default as a DHCP relay, you do not need to override.

Upon configuring the WLAN, you send clients to an interface. If you check this interface configuration, you will see that it points to a DHCP server. This is where your WLC relays wireless clients to.

If you want to override this setting and send your clients to another DHCP server instead, you then click DHCP override in the WLAN config and enter another DHCP IP address.

hth

Jerome

View solution in original post

If this is for Internal clients, I would use your internal DHCP and not the WLC. Set it on the interface in which you map the ssid to. I only use the WLC DHCP when I have guest access involved.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Ken,

Your WLC is acting by default as a DHCP relay, you do not need to override.

Upon configuring the WLAN, you send clients to an interface. If you check this interface configuration, you will see that it points to a DHCP server. This is where your WLC relays wireless clients to.

If you want to override this setting and send your clients to another DHCP server instead, you then click DHCP override in the WLAN config and enter another DHCP IP address.

hth

Jerome

If this is for Internal clients, I would use your internal DHCP and not the WLC. Set it on the interface in which you map the ssid to. I only use the WLC DHCP when I have guest access involved.

-Scott

Thxs Fella :)

Brilliant. Many thx indeed for your help :))

Also... when I use DHCP Override it is only to test another DHCP server, this way you don't have to change it in the interface.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card