Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Juniper handshaking

Dear all

I have cisco 2800 router and a juniper j2300 router. I have to make it a serial comunication over the cisco to juniper

I have two question

1) The cisco cables are compatible with juniper or not ?

2)how to done the handshakinig between the cisco and juniper device.

Other things are

when i connect the juniepr Wic 1T to cisco 2T through the DTE(Juniper) DCE(cisco)cable then the juniper serail is dhowing up but the cisco shows serail Down

kindly help on this

thanks and regads

sanju kumar

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Have you defined clockrate under the Interface on the Cisco (DCE) side?

Narayan

Dear royalblues

yes i had already defined it in the cisco side

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sanju,

1) You mentioned wic-1t and 2t but I suppose you are using the serial modules on both sides, right? If so, yes it should be ok.

2) For a back to back connection, you need to set the clockrate on the DCE. Also, JUNOS uses PPP as default encapsulation, whereas IOS uses hdlc. Make sure you change one side or the other.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Dear Heitter

1)I had allready done this. But when i used to show interface on the juniper side it shows me that the clock source is not detected.

2)Juniper is currently using the x.21 protocol.how to deal with this in cisco.

and finally

3)how to configure the juniper serial end as a DTE , plz tell me the clocking iin the juniper end as a DTE

plz help me on this

thanks and regards

sanju kumar

Sanju,

1) - Are you using the following cable on the Juniper side: JX-CBL-X21-DTE ?

- Are you using the following cable on the Cisco side: CAB-SS-X21FC ? Are you using the

2) You don't need do do anything special as long as you have the right cable (DCE) and setting the clock rate.

3)You shouldn't need to do anything special on the Juniper side except for using the right cable (DTE). The DTE mode should be detected automatically.

If this doesn't work, please provide a "show interface extensive" from the JUNOS side and a "show interface " and "show controller " from the IOS side.

Also do not forget to change the encapsulation on one side or the other as the default values are different.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco