cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 linecard issues

Ibbywannit
Level 1
Level 1

Today, i'm having a go on the beast! I've installed a 6148A - GE-TX into a 6509 and i get the following output. I was wondering am i using the correct SUP card as i can't get it to recognise. Also, currently i'm only using one power supply. It shouldn't make a difference should it?

Try not to get too technical on me here - i'm not ashamed to say when it comes to the 6509 i'm not that clued up - even though i've been messing around with them for the past 6 months or so.

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------

1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 yes ok

15 1 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC2 no other

2 2 Unknown Card power-down

3 3 Unknown Card power-bad

4 4 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6248A-TEL no faulty

5 5 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6248-RJ-45 no other

6 6 48 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X6148-45AF no faulty

the WS-X6148A-GE-TX is in slot 3.

Your replies, as always, are most welcome.

1 Reply 1

bamnocadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Try this link - Troubleshooting Hardware and Common Issues on Catalyst 6500/6000 Series Switches Running Cisco IOS System Software

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801751d7.shtml

If the status is power-bad, the switch is able to see a card, but unable to allocate power. This is possible if the Supervisor Engine is not able access the serial PROM (SPROM) contents on the module in order to determine the identification of the line card. You can issue the show idprom module slot command in order to verify if the SPROM is readable. If the SPROM is not accessible, you can reset the module.

Also, make sure your AC has power for all modules and PoE devices.

Cisco Power Calculator

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/launch.jsp

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card