Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP in Router

nagalingammk
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

There is any possiblity to Configure two DHCP server(in router)in the same network as one as backup

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

naga

While it is certainly possible to configure a Cisco router to provide DHCP for a subnet connected to an interface, I am not aware of any way to configure the router so that there are 2 instances of DHCP for the same subnet. If you have 2 routers and they are connected on the same subnet then it is quite possible to configure DHCP in both routers for that subnet. This would provide redundancy and backup to each other on the subnet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi,

thanks for your response,

Yes the two router are in the same subnet and HSRP is enabled on both so one is act like backup, both routers are trying to relay ip address if i configure dhcp on both,

any possiblities to stop of relaying dhcp from the secondary router

naga

I believe that there is not any way to stop the secondary router from relaying DHCP. When the client sends a DHCP request both routers will respond. Sometimes the client may accept the address offered by the first router and sometimes the client may accept the address offered by the second router. They are both active and they both back each other up.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi,

thanks again,

can i get any type of soultion to run with two Dhcp server(one as backup in router) in the same subnet

naga

You certainly can run with 2 DHCP servers for the same subnet (whether one is in router or not). But there is not any mechanism to make one DHCP server backup that will only be active if the first is not active. If 2 DHCP servers are configured for the subnet then both will be active.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card