Views
Helpful
Replies

Where's the netmask stored on ASA

blaesingmarco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a question about the network objects on an ASA running V 8.0(3). After creating an network object with the corresponding netmask in ASDM I cant see it via CLI. Thers just the name without netmask. Where is the netmask stored? How does the ASA deal with this objects and netmasks?

Kind regards and thanks in advance

MB

5 Replies 5

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Perhaps its not showing because you are using the default network mask, for example for Class-C addresses you are using /24. like 192.168.1.0/24.

Or another possibility is that you are using a /32 mask, which the firewall is replacing with the 'host' keyword?

Regards

Farrukh

Hello Happs.

I think you are right. The Asa knows which mask fits to the IP.

But for example the IP 68.135.32.32 can be configured with /32 /30 /29 /28 mask as a network object in asdm.

But the mask is not shown in the config via cli.

regards,

Marco

If you configure the 68.135.32.32 address as /8, it should not show as it is a Class A address and this is the default mask for it. /32 mask should show as 'host 68.135.32.32'. But all others should show in the CLI, otherwise how will the ASA differentiate between /28 and /30.

Also please remember ASA uses subnet mask and not wild-card mask.

Can you show the output of:

show run all object-group?

or

show run object-group

Regards

Farrukh

Thanks for your reply.

When I configure in the ASDM the network object 62.135.32.32 255.255.255.248 testnet

it is shown in CLI name 62.135.32.32 testnet

No mask anywhere in the config.After creating an network object group and put the network object in this group the netmask is shown in the CLI. But where is it stored before?

regards,

Marco

Oh I get it now, you are confusing the 'object-group' command with the 'name' command.

The 'name' command does not support any netmask whatsoever, it is just like how u do 'ip host' on the router. However personally I hate to use them, firstly its difficult to troubleshoot and view logs, people are usually doing 'show log | inc 10.20.20.20' and they get nothing :), because they are supposed to do 'show log | include ISA-SERVER'. Similarly to date Cisco MARS also does not support it.

The netmask you configure (in ASDM) will be visible by:

show run object-group

and NOT by

show run name

You just CALL that name in the object-group command (if you don't want in to to type the IP address and make configs more readable).

Have a look at the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/no.html#wp1711954

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/no.html#wp1714757

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: