cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP route validity

izackvail
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering about BGP's decision making process when it comes to whether a route is considered valid or not.

I know that a route can be considered valid sometimes when it is not even accessible in the case of NBMA networks or external routes learned from iBGP neighbors. I know that a route is considererd invalid if the receiving router AS is in the AS path. I also know that route filters can make a route invalid, but does anyone have a comprehensive list of what makes a route valid.

What is the step by step decision making process a router goes through when attempting to answer the question of route validity?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Kindly check this Cisco document for a similar list:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094431.shtml#background

BGP relies on the IGP for the actual traffic forwarding, it reports prefixes and their next-hop, route recursion and the actual forwarding depends on the IGP, and thus its a matter of IGP design and convergence, as long as the next-hop is reachable (according to the IGP), then the route is a candidate of BGP best path selection.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

asanchez_77
Level 1
Level 1

as far as I know, BGP first check its prefixes received(BGP table) for a proper path to a network and after the BGP algorithim procedure, the resulting route its therefore installed in the routing table. A BGP router commonly receive FRT so teorically its resposability is to properly choose one or another path.

any suggestions?

alex

izackvail
Level 1
Level 1

I found this list:

Is the route VALID? To be valid:

* The route must be synchronized with the Interior Gateway Protocol (unless synchronization is turned off).

* The route must appear in the IP routing table (see previous bullet point).

* The NEXT_HOP must be reachable.

* The AS_PATHs received from an external AS must not contain the local AS, or they will be discarded.

* The local routing policy must permit the route. If the neighbor is filtering the route, they won't use it.

I should note that this didn't come from a Cisco document.

I still wonder why BGP would consider a route valid even if it is inaccessible?

I guess this is just an imperfection in the algorithm that determines NEXT_HOP reachability. According to this list "the NEXT_HOP must be reachable".

Hi,

Kindly check this Cisco document for a similar list:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094431.shtml#background

BGP relies on the IGP for the actual traffic forwarding, it reports prefixes and their next-hop, route recursion and the actual forwarding depends on the IGP, and thus its a matter of IGP design and convergence, as long as the next-hop is reachable (according to the IGP), then the route is a candidate of BGP best path selection.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you Mohammed that is exactly what I was looking for.

I am familiar with the Best Path Selection process. I have seen it referenced in many books but I haven't seen that route validity section. Thanks again!

Izack,

You are very welcomed.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: