Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just curious if I were to put in the following statement:

interface GigabitEthernet0/27

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk pruning vlan none

switchport mode trunk

What will happen to the switch interface? Does it mean that no other VLANs are carried forward from this interface except VLANs that are created within the switch?

Any advise?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Yep - or if you have vtp running, whatever is in the vtp database.

HTH.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really sure what you are asking here. If you have "switchport trunk pruning vlan none" then you are saying do not prune any vlans from the trunk link. So the vlans could be created on that switch or they could be created on another switch as Andrew says.

On this switch all it says is that any traffic for any vlan that is allowed on the trunk will be forwarded on that interface regardless of whether any ports further down the line are in that vlan.

Jon

Cool!! So I can say that it does not prune or create that vlan in its switch VTP database and would just forward the traffic irregardless of the VLAN in the traffic?

Thanks!!

Not really. The switch would still have to know about the VLAN.

If you have VTP pruning enabled, VTP will automatically prune a VLAN off a trunk if there are no downstream clients for the VLAN.

All the command does is to disable that feature for this trunk. It means is that VTP would not automatically prune the VLAN from the trunk.

If the switch knows about the VLAN, and if the VLAN has not been manually disallowed on the trunk, then the trunk would forward the VLAN, even if there are no downstream clients for the VLAN.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card