Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 trunk to VMWare virtual switch

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have a consultant installing VMWare.

He wants what he is calling a trunk port on the 6509.

He says he will tag both VLANs the the virtual switch will carry to the 6509.

I am taking this as he needs a trunk port on the 6509 allowing both vlans, neither one of them being the native vlan.

Meaning both VLANs will be tagged.

Am I correct in this?

description Trunk

switchport

switchport trunk allowed vlan 11,21

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

no ip address

speed 1000

duplex full

6 Replies 6

niro
Level 1
Level 1

Yes that's right...we have our vmware set up the same way. If this is the port carrying your vmware traffic I recommend setting up a two or three port etherchannel to the vmware host for redundancy.

Thanks,that was a fast response.

Thanks for the input, he has specified that we are spanning across two 6509 switches and two blades across the switches.

I did not set a native vlan and the trunk defaulted to vlan 1.

I am wondering if I should change this.

you shouldn't have to. When he sets up the virtual switches in vmware he'd add the vlan ID to them.

Is that the trick with vmware, an etherchannel for redundancy? We've currently been testing servers created using vmware. They run successfully for anywhere from 20-30 hours before encountering a network error that breaks there established connection to the main VM host. Any suggestions?

What kind of network error? What do you need to do to bring it back up? If you do set up an etherchannel make sure you change the load balancing on the virtual switch to match your cisco switch.

Unfortunately there were no visible errors on the network that indicated any kind of problems. The server admin running these test brought to our attention that there was a "glitch" that caused his virtual machines to crash and assumed it was network related. I tried to explain that all the port statistics between vmserver and regular server. The glictch seemed to occur between his virtual machine and the physicial server running vmware.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card