cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6504e with SUP720 routing issues

ttgp_admin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6500 series switch case with a 48 port gig switch card, and a supervisor card (WS-X6548V-GE-TX.

I am trying to build a routing table but am having problems. i can enter in a routing statement i.e. (ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x) into the config, but when i show ip route, there will be no entry in the table.

also the gateway of last resort is not set, and during my research, the way to set that is one of three, either enter in a routing statement of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or set a default-network, or if routing is disabled set a default gateway.

this is my router so the default gateway is out, i have tried both the default network and ip route statment, together and separate with no joy.

in researching this problem, i have not found anything that says a SUP720 engine can't do regular routing, all i have found is that if i was doing IPX routing the software would do it, but i am not doing IPX routing.

needless to say, any assistance would be appreciated.

thanks ahead of time.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The gateway of the ip route statement is reachable ?

It must be reachable in order to be installed in the routing table.

Do you have any 'connected' routes listed in the routing table? You should have routes there if you have any L3 interface in up/up state.

Try this ip route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0

then issue a show ip route.

Let us know if that works.

If it works, then routing is working and you have a problem reaching the gateway.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

Nick

Yes if the switch is not connected to anything then this would be the cause of your problem. And NO the route will not be entered into the table anyway.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's odd. Sup720 supports routing, can you please post the show version, show run and show ip route output ?

__

Edison.

show verison:

Cisco IOS

s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVISESK9-M). Version 12.2 (18) SXE6b, Release Software (fc2)

ROM: System bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S4, Release software (fc1)

BOOTLDR: s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVISESK9-M). Version 12.2 (18) SXE6b, Release Software (fc2)

system image file is: s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.sxe6b.bin

Cisco WS-C6504-E (R7000) processor (revisoin 2.9) with 458720k/65536k bytes of mem.

Processor board ID FOX1029051D

SR71000 CPU at 600 MHz, Implementation 0x504, Rev 1.2 512KB L2 cache

-----------

I cannot post the show run specifically, as my router is on a classified network, if you could tell me specifically what you are looking for i can tell you wether or not i have it.

the show ip route, will only display the legend, and the statement that the gateway of last resort is not set. there are no table entries.

I do have routing statments in the config i.e. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

The gateway of the ip route statement is reachable ?

It must be reachable in order to be installed in the routing table.

Do you have any 'connected' routes listed in the routing table? You should have routes there if you have any L3 interface in up/up state.

Try this ip route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0

then issue a show ip route.

Let us know if that works.

If it works, then routing is working and you have a problem reaching the gateway.

HTH,

__

Edison.

that did work, that statement showed up.

so i guess the answer is i actually need to have the next hop within reach for the statments to be built.

bummer, was trying to make sure it worked before i brought down the network and installed it.

Nick

If you want to test it (I would certainly agree with that) you will need to get at least some of the interfaces connected to something. Perhaps you could use a small switch configured with multiple VLANs - or use some number of PCs connected to switch ports. It does not matter what the switch is connected to but it does matter that the switch sees the interfaces as up (as connected to something).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Carl

Is this 6500 running native mode or hybrid mode?

When you attempt to enter the ip route x.x.x.x are you sure that the next hop address that you specify is a valid next hop and that the switch knows how to reach it (does it appear in the routing table?)?

Perhaps it would be helpful if you would post the output of show version and the output of show ip route.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Carl

If you say that the show ip route is empty, does that mean that there are no connected routes in the table? If there are no connected interface subnet routes in the table then this would explain why your ip route x.x.x.x is not working. IOS will not put a static route into the table if it does not know how to get to the next step (and believe that the next hop address is reachable). Perhaps the output of show ip interface brief would help.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

this is Nick (i work for carl)

how do i tell what mode is running?

I know that the ip route statements are valid, but the switch is not connected directly to the network yet, we have it set up in a test configuration. So the switch cannont actually get to the next address. Is this what is causing my issue?

wouldn't the route statment be entered into the table either way?

the show version is posted above as well as the ip route, (nothing comes out)

-Nick

No, as my previous message, the route will only be inserted if the gateway in the route statement is reachable.

You can test routing by replacing the gateway with a null0.

HTH,

P.S. You are running in Native Mode, which is fine.

__

Edison.

Nick

Yes if the switch is not connected to anything then this would be the cause of your problem. And NO the route will not be entered into the table anyway.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card