cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question for EI/T1 experts

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

i am connecting two site, one in london (E1 end) and the other in the state (T1 end). ISP will terminate the circuit to us via serial.

can somone recommend router model for both ends? I think the cisco 2801 will do fine.

Also what WIC card to use for both T1/E1?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Also my understanding from what edison is saying, if the ISP is handing off directly to us the T1/E1 circuits, then i should use the WIC-T1 card which is a fully managed DSU/CSU for T1. right?

That would be the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 module.

Also, should i expect the provider to provide the CSU/DSU device normally?

It depends on the level of service you've signed-up for. It seems they are including the CSU/DSU as they are giving you the serial hand-off. Their CSU/DSU will have the channel configuration.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are getting a serial hand-off from the ISP, the WIC-1T should meet your needs on both locations:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3129/products_tech_note09186a00800b0859.shtml

Note: 2800 isn't listed in that URL but it fully supports it.

Another option is getting HWIC-4T

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps6182/prod_qas0900aecd80274424.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

so for the T1 end, i should WIC-1T (1 port high-speed serial WIC). I know this is support on the 2800 series.

What i'm not sure about is on the E1 side. Is there a card for EI circuit (WIC-1E) or does the WIC-1T works on both T1/E1 circuit?

Thanks.

Francisco,

I would ask your provider what handoff they will be giving you before you place your order. In the USA, it is possible that they may give you a T1 handoff instead of a serial handoff. It is also possible that they may give you a serial handoff or even an ethernet handoff. The point is you don't know what they will give you until you ask them...

On the router, the 2801 will probably suffice you. I personally use the 2811 instead because it gives you a network module slot that isn't available on the 2801. This gives you the capability to install a AIM module or WAAS module in the future (otherwise your talking about more expensive options).

Just my 2 cents.

If it's a serial hand-off, the WIC-T1 will serve for both connections. It doesn't care if the line is T1 or E1 as it only talks serial to the device terminating the connection.

If the ISP is going to hand-off a T1/E1 directly to you, then you need an internal CSU/DSU in your router.

This module should provide what you need:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Agreed with you Edison. I was only pointing out that there is a difference between a WIC-1T and a WIC-T1. As you point out the HWICs today are configurable for either the E1 or T1.

Thanks!

Jim,

My post wasn't directed at you. I was replying to Francisco's 2nd query.

patrickvanham
Level 1
Level 1

The WIC edison suggests is suitable. But make sure you confirm with the ISP whether the E1 is framed or unframed(G.703) as this will affect the choice of WIC.

They have confirmed it serial termination. So both T1/E1 digital circuits will terminate directly on the CSU/DSU (Provided by the provider) and from the CSU/DSU device, we will have a direct serial connection to the cisco router terminating on the WIC-1T card edison suggested. correct?

Also my understanding from what edison is saying, if the ISP is handing off directly to us the T1/E1 circuits, then i should use the WIC-T1 card which is a fully managed DSU/CSU for T1. right?

That would be the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 module.

It depends on the level of service you've signed-up for. It seems they are including the CSU/DSU as they are giving you the serial hand-off. Their CSU/DSU will have the channel configuration.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

very informative.

Thanks.

chaps,

The provider just came back to me asking me what IMUX we will be using in the state since we are providing IMUX. Can somone suggest any model compactable with cisco router?

Thanks.

From you description above there is no imux involved in this circuit, possibly as often happens wit international connections, someone is not expressing properly or doesn't have knowledge on the matter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: