cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS and LDAP

kgroves42
Level 3
Level 3

Does CUPS require a third party LDAP server such as Microsoft AD? And does Call Manager have to be synchronized with an outside LDAP Directory? I thought it did but I can's seem to find any Docs telling me that.

However I did find this in the SRND telling me otherwise.

"If LDAP integration is possible, LDAP synchronization with Unified CM should be used to pull all user information (number, ID, and so forth) from a single source. However, if the deployment includes both an LDAP server and Unified CM that does not have LDAP synchronization enabled, then the administrator should ensure consistent configuration across Unified CM and LDAP when configuring user directory number associations."

What issues will I have if I don't synchronize CallManager?

Thanks

Ken

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Ken,

I think if the configs are not consistent, what happens is that the AD user info overwrites or deletes the CM user info.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Sankar,

Thanks for your response.

Basically what is happening is we are doing a new CUCM (6.1) with IPCC, So we added all the users in the Call Manager Database, and configured some of the users to use IPCC, then we found out they are getting a Presence Server, which will integrate also with Microsoft OCS. So now we are trying to figure out if it will work, as is, using the Call Manager's internal LDAP or do we need to reconfigure the Users to use Microsoft AD. But going through the docs it looks like it will be a pain to manually keep everything synchronized.

Let me clarify this.

We have 2 parts in which we interact with LDAP

a) CCM -- LDAP Integration

b) CUPS -- LDAP Profile|Server

Point a is not mandatory but HIGHLY recommended, since as you state we need to manually keep them synch.

I will go for AD integration, in versions 5.X and later LDAP synch is pretty stable.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: