cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560 RPS 2300 Power Switchover

itbudda58
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to switch a Catalyst 3560 from RPS DC power to line power without rebooting it.

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Switch port to standby and then back. Unfortunetly unless you are running 3560E switches there is no way to do this which is less than ideal . Whats the point if you have to manually change the rps back , the same issue exists with their other switches like the 2960 also . I would think they could incorporate this feature into the IOS code if they want people to buy these rps's . Here is the explanation out of a doc.

Q. Why does a device continue to draw power from the RPS even after its internal power is restored?

A. This is expected behaviour for all devices, other than the Catalyst E series switches. The device might reboot when reverting back to its own power supply. Hence, it continues to draw power from the RPS, so that the device can be switched back to its own power supply at a convenient time. In order to switch the device back to its own power supply, place the RPS port in "Standby" mode until the device reverts back to its own power supply, then place the RPS port in "Active" mode again. The Catalyst E Series switches are capable of reverting back to their own power supplies without service interruption.

When you change the RPS to standby mode, the switch reboots off of the main power source. I don't want it to reboot.

mz4kmq
Level 1
Level 1

Ditto here. anyone? Is this a limitation of the RPS or is it supposed to automatically switch power back to the 3560G switch's primary power source when it becomes available again? Documentation on this device is inconclusive and does not detail very well the configuration specifics.

If this is true, I don't see enough value in the product to cost justify its use. Does anyone have a 3rd party solution that will provide this capability as well as beefy enough to provide redunant power to up to 6 simualtaneous devices?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: