Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating OSPF Stub Network

Jesse Hottle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have attached a net. diagram showing a basic OSPF design, with a single stub network. Routers A, B, C, D are all in ospf area 0 (router C is a L3 3550). My question is with setting up router (E) as a stub network of area 0. I have customers behind router (E) that need to be able to reach the internet as well as other portions of network. I want this to be stub area 1

My questions are how can I setup this, keep OSPF running between router (C) and (E). Since this is a stub network, do I need a default route on the router (E)? Or will dynamic routing still take place?

1 Reply 1

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

The thing to remember here is that OSPF does not put routers into areas, but networks. This seems a fine distinction, but is actually quite important here. You should also remember that OSPF does not have stub networks, it has stub areas.

So, on all your routers, put the links of that ABCD loop into area 0. On router D, put the 10.5.0.0/30 link into area 1; network 10.5.0.0 0.0.0.3 area 1. Then do area 1 stub. Router D becomes a border router between your stub area 1 and the backbone.

Router E end of that link should also be in area 1, and area 1 declared as stub. If you want area 1 to contain only the default route, then router D should have area 1 stub no-summary. It will then inject a default route into the area 1, which router E will pick up. The "no-summary" is only necessary on the area border router (D).

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: