GRE Tunnel QoS

Unanswered Question
May 29th, 2008

I have a remote site connecting to a secondary site using a GRE tunnel. The remote site has a second GRE tunnel to the main office. The remote site and secondary site are connected to allow VoIP traffic. I am having intermittent bandwidth issues resulting in dropped calls at the remote site.

Where would a QoS policy normally be located? Should it be placed outbound on the physical interface fa0/1? If the QoS policy is placed on fa0/1 how will it know what traffic is inside the VPN encrypted data? I need to prioritize VoIP traffic to eliminate or drastically reduce dropped calls.

I have posted a copy of the router config with secure information removed.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
y.talibi Tue, 06/10/2008 - 16:35

You need to use "Qos pre-calssify" commande under tunnel interface and aplly Qos to Fastehternet Interface.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 06/11/2008 - 02:24

And in addition to that the QoS on FE must be of the "parent-child" type where traffic is first shaped then prioritized. Not a simple not very reliable setup all considered. But these are the disadvantages you have to accept for doing VPN rather than using leased lines.

dmooreami Fri, 06/20/2008 - 12:34

did you get a working solution? I am in same "boat" as you are. I just need to QOS some H323 traffic.

This Discussion