cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Tunnel QoS

wdgolden1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote site connecting to a secondary site using a GRE tunnel. The remote site has a second GRE tunnel to the main office. The remote site and secondary site are connected to allow VoIP traffic. I am having intermittent bandwidth issues resulting in dropped calls at the remote site.

Where would a QoS policy normally be located? Should it be placed outbound on the physical interface fa0/1? If the QoS policy is placed on fa0/1 how will it know what traffic is inside the VPN encrypted data? I need to prioritize VoIP traffic to eliminate or drastically reduce dropped calls.

I have posted a copy of the router config with secure information removed.

4 Replies 4

gwildfire
Level 1
Level 1

Not an expert on this as have had similar issues myself, saw some improvement using the nested policy as reccomended on this link

-> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a008017405e.shtml

Hi,

You need to use "Qos pre-calssify" commande under tunnel interface and aplly Qos to Fastehternet Interface.

And in addition to that the QoS on FE must be of the "parent-child" type where traffic is first shaped then prioritized. Not a simple not very reliable setup all considered. But these are the disadvantages you have to accept for doing VPN rather than using leased lines.

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

did you get a working solution? I am in same "boat" as you are. I just need to QOS some H323 traffic.