connection oriented osi layers

Unanswered Question
May 29th, 2008

my instructor posed this question to us: how does a connection oriented transport layer depend on/communicate to a connection-less network layer? the answer may be an obvious one,but it isn't for me. just started networking, so simplifying would be appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
scottmac Fri, 05/30/2008 - 04:51

The "connection" is by way of things like sequence numbers and acknowledgment (ACK) or Negative Acknowledgment (NAK).

For TCP, there's an initial handshake sequence, there's negotiation of capability and then the "link" is established.

Sequence numbers provide a way of ACKing a group of packets, and ensure that all packets are received, and in what order (for cases of multiple paths to a common destination).

For details, look a little deeper into how TCP creates and maintains a "connection."

Another possibly interesting transport / protocol you might want to look at would be ATM.

Hope this helps to get you going ...

Good Luck

svermill Sat, 05/31/2008 - 10:40

Seems like the question had to do with how a connection-oriented protocol - such as TCP - depends upon/communicates to a connectionless protocol. Such as IP...

This Discussion