cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Management

gma_young
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for a methodology for the management of IOS's for CISCO gear, cant seem to find anything, cheers Glenn

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Glenn

Hope you can make use of cisco discovery tool which mite help you to achieve what you require out here...

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/discovery.html

regds

Thanks, however I represent a customer and not a partner, so am not auhtorised to obtain the tool. I was after more of a methodology, I have spoken to a CISCO sales/systems engineer who tells me there is no methodology of such for Cisco. I am checking out the Safe Harbor/Golden bridge stuff as well as referencing the other info relating to IOS management on cisco.com, and I will write something which suites our organisation, cheers

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask about methodology.

There are many different variants of IOS for different products. For example, the latest code on routers is the 12.4 train, but for all switches (and some routers like the 7600) we are still pulling from 12.2 code.

As a general rule for 12.4, the mainline train should be the most stable. The 'T' train will have some new features that, while tested, may not yet be considered tried and true. The X train could be considered early adopter code.

For switches, I like to stick to the general rule that the higher the last number, the better as far as stability goes. So, I would venture a guess that 12.2(18)SXF14 has less bugs than 12.2(33)SXH2a. The EWA train on the 4k would follow the same pattern as compared to the SG train. That being said, there are often major enhancements between trains where some of the bigger bugs are fully ironed out instead of worked-around.

Safe harbor code should always at the very least be a good starting point for you, and the release notes will prove invaluable if you know what features you will be running ahead of time.

HI, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

Refer the attachment for CISCO IOS Managment for HA Networking.

The document says, the Best Practices.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: